Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   No ICE at 46 mph? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/no-ice-46-miles-per-hour-15766/)

mg48 10-26-2007 08:21 AM

No ICE at 46 mph?

I was driving to work this morning here in Houston. I noticed I was at a 46 mph using CC and I had no orange ICE indications on my display. The battery was green with 1 bar missing. I was on a flat street, most of them are around here are. I made it about 3/4 of a mile before I had to stop for a light. I thought that ICE was always on above 42 mph unless you are off the throttle decelerating.

finman 10-26-2007 09:00 AM

Re: No ICE at 46 mph?

The touch screen is not always giving the "full" picture. Above 42 MPH, the gas engine has to spin, but not nessarily burn gas. It has to spin so MG2 won't overspin it's RPM limit, due to the power-split's design.

some with scanguages/Can-views can see that a VERY small amount of fuel is burned at this point...but the touch screen 'arrows' typically will only light up if the engine is actually helping power the wheels.

Lots of other conditions when this could happen (like running the gas engine just to charge the battery or warm up emission components when parked), but in general that's the story.

cast_and_blast 10-26-2007 09:46 AM

Or...maybe your speedometer is off a bit?

Scott

bwilson4web 10-26-2007 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mg48 (Post 147724)
I was driving to work this morning here in Houston. I noticed I was at a 46 miles per hour using CC and I had no orange ICE indications on my display. The battery was green with 1 bar missing. I was on a flat street, most of them are around here are. I made it about 3/4 of a mile before I had to stop for a light. I thought that ICE was always on above 42 miles per hour unless you are off the throttle decelerating.

It is not always providing power. In some cases, the ICE can be spinning while being powered by the battery . . . I know it sound perverse but it happens.

Bob Wilson

chimemaker1 01-30-2008 08:10 AM

power lumbar in the front seats?

[QUOTE=finman;147728] Hi Finman would you mind telling me where you got the power lumbar set up in your front seats?

Thanks, Robert (chimemaker1)

David Beale 01-30-2008 09:28 AM

It's MG1 that can be over-spun. It's speed is directly proportional to wheel speed and inversely proportional to engine speed.

You were in "warp stealth". The engine was being spun by MG2 to protect MG1 but no fuel was being injected. It's difficult to get into this mode, but very gratifying when you do. ;) At this lowish speed the engine is spun at about 950 RPM ("idle" is about 1250 RPM with fuel being consumed). I use a Scangauge II and can watch the car drop to idle, then drop to 950 RPM with the fuel use dropping to almost zero (the Scangauge "estimates" fuel use if the engine is turning even though the ODBII codes say 0 fuel so I don't see zero fuel use). Those with Canview report 0 fuel use however in this mode.