Oil Change - I don't want to get ripped off, please help!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Oil Change - I don't want to get ripped off, please help!

I'm 22, but I look probably like I'm 17, so I know they try to take advantage however they can when I pull up into the place..Regardless, being a girl doesn't work in my advantage either. I'm hoping someone can help me, real quick here..

I had my first oil change a while ago, the guy charged me $40 bucks for "synthetic oil". I just paid it because I wasn't sure what to do

Then I did a search and someone did say to use synthetic oil .. but then I read the PRIUS FAQ located in the top of this forum and it says, "The engine oil is just like any car and easy to change yourself or at discount places. Just insist that they not overfill it. Have them take out the excess until they do it RIGHT or you'll pay in lower mileage. The optimum level is 3/4 between the fill marks."

I would just be so grateful for anyone who can help me, I am due another oil change and this place down the street does an oil change + free car wash for $20 bucks! I have to take care of my dear car. so synthetic or normal? What do you say?

THANKYOU in advance!

Last edited by ilovemyhybrid; 10-22-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Oil Change - I don't want to get ripped off, please help!

Hi,

First, tell them you are only paying for no more than 4 quarts and if they put in more, no deal. Then have them show you the dip stick afterwards and if the oil is above, "F", tell them it can not be over "F" and to drain out the extra.

Second, make sure the oil is 5W-30. If it is not 5W-30, no deal.

Third, make sure there is a new oil filter.

Personally, I think changing oil is a task you should learn EVEN if you don't make it a habit. Knowing you can do it gives a degree of confidence that makes dealing with service staff a lot easier.

If you're anywhere within a hundred miles of Huntsville AL, send me a PM and we'll have you come by and 'do it yourself.' You might also check with some of the local adult education programs. I've got to believe there is an "intro to auto mechanics" that would be a safe place to learn how this is done.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi,

First, tell them you are only paying for no more than 4 quarts and if they put in more, no deal. Then have them show you the dip stick afterwards and if the oil is above, "F", tell them it can not be over "F" and to drain out the extra.

Second, make sure the oil is 5W-30. If it is not 5W-30, no deal.

Third, make sure there is a new oil filter.

Personally, I think changing oil is a task you should learn EVEN if you don't make it a habit. Knowing you can do it gives a degree of confidence that makes dealing with service staff a lot easier.

If you're anywhere within a hundred miles of Huntsville AL, send me a PM and we'll have you come by and 'do it yourself.' You might also check with some of the local adult education programs. I've got to believe there is an "intro to auto mechanics" that would be a safe place to learn how this is done.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson
Bob, you are such a friend, thank you!

I'd love to learn to change the oil myself. My dad is away in vietnam till next year, maybe it'll be a good project to learn when he gets back. He says the same thing -- High school should offer a mandatory 'auto-mechanics 101' class! This is basic life-stuff to know! ie, changing tires, oil, etc. Not some of the junk they teach us today in school. Sadly I am in CA otherwise I would def. take you up on that offer! Ok so regular oil is fine. Not necessarily Synthetic. Thanks, have a great week!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by ilovemyhybrid
. . . Not necessarily Synthetic. Thanks, have a great week!
If you are changing every 5,000 miles, it probably doesn't matter much. I tend to do a Spring and Fall change, which tends to be closer to 10,000 miles. Oil testing results show the oil is hardly stressed.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-31-2007, 01:44 PM
BeechSportBill

Hi Battery Buddies! My dealer even raised heck about exceeding 5,000 (about six weeks at my usage!) between changes. I figure the engine is only running 1/2 the time, so 10,000 makes more sense! I get free oil with purchase, but I'll check the level next time! Thanks!