Is it OK install larger width tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Is it OK install larger width tires?

My 2007 Prius needs new tires after 52K miles on the OE tires. I am trying to take advantage of the Michelin tire rebate at Discount Tire but the Michelin Destiny 80K mile tires are out of stock. The service rep also indicated that Destiny line is discontinued. However, he was able to find P195 65 R15 tires at another DT store nearby and suggested that I get those instead. He said they are perfectly compatible with P185 65 R15 recommended for the car but 10mm wider than P185s.

I have read in another post that Michelin Harmony is recommened with a solid red circle by consumer reports and the Destiny is same as Harmony which is available only through Discount Tire. So, I am opting to go with MIchelins at best possible price point.

Any comments or concerns going with a slightly wider than recommended tire in terms of safely, fuel economy, warranty, etc,,,

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is it OK install larger width tires?

I think as long as you can still turn the wheel full lock both directions and be able to compress the suspension (hitting bumps, like turning into a driveway) and not have the tires rub on anything then it should be okay. However, you're not just talking about the tires being 10mm wider. The aspect ratio of 65 is the tire height compared to the width. So, now you're not 65% of 155, you're 65% of 195. So, your overall tire diameter will be just a slight bit taller. I'm sure not enough to notice by looking at it. But I wonder how much your speedometer and odometer will be affected?

Also, I'm sure you already know, with all things being equal, a wider tire equals less fuel economy. But, since the difference is so small, you may not even notice it.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Enthusiast

Good catch on the aspect ratio. I have not thought about it. I will check the store to see if the tires can be returned in case I run into any issues. Consumer Reports has given a higher score on Michelin X Radials (club tires). I will shop around a bit before making a final decision.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I remember when I wanted wider tires for my truck. I went to the tire brand's website and found a list of specs for their tires. I was able to find a set of tires that kept the overall dimension the same size. See if you can find a similar comparison for the tires you want.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

The 195s fit just fine. You will loose a bit of mileage due to slightly higher tire friction and air pushing from the wider tire. But the car will handle better. It's a normal trade-off.