Outline for FAQ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 02:17 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Outline for FAQ?

Hi,

Perhaps it is time to assemble a GH FAQ for each model of hybrid electric to be kept as a "sticky" thread in each?

Each hybrid electric has slightly different driving techniques to maximize MPG and unique 'caveates' about maintenance and ownership. My thinking is such a FAQ could help newbies quickly master proven techniques and serve as 'collected wisdom' as we document maintenance and operational issues.

The outline for such a FAQ should have:

I. Common terms
II. Driving Techniques
III. Maintenance 'Gotcha

We have two-three models of Prius so we would need to pay attention to the differences too.

Thoughts?

Bob Wilson

Old 03-10-2006, 04:24 AM
04 prius 350,000km
Default Re: Outline for FAQ?

the only hard part is getting all the good material onto one page, and compiling that material for the masses.

Who's up for the job? Not me of course but I would love to read it.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

2001-2003 Prius FAQ outline (needs text and links)

Tire inflation, life, replacement options, snow tires
B mode use, meaning
HOV lanes
Transmission design and operation
MPG typical, range, improving
Warning lights/TSB EG011-03
Warning lights/other, including loose gas cap
Accelerator butterfly soot (one of my favorites)
Accelerator pedal failure (the other)
12 volt battery/life, fail symptoms, replacement
Roof racks and hitch receivers
Pwer steering shakes/extended warranty
HV battery reseal, special service campaign
HV battery life, SOC range, temperature control
HV no recharge in "N"
ABS brake cutout over bumps
Traction control/overspin protection
Toyota parts discounters, aftermarket parts
ULEV, SULEV meaning, fuel sulfur content
Fuel octane requirement, running out of gas, guage linearity
Blank screen recovery, Hidden diagnostic screen
Maintenance schedules, DIY, technical manuals, miniscanner
Resolving service problems (at a higher level)
Synthetic oil debate
RTFM
John1701a, other Internet groups, VFAQ.net
...and other topics general to hybrid vehicles.

Others please continue?

Old 03-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Outline for FAQ?

Prius FAQ [V00.02]
Index

1) Definitions and terms
2) Driving for MPG
3) Handling (for new owners)
4) Maintenance for MPG
5) Maintenance for Long Life

FAQ Body

1) Definitions and terms
1997-2001 Model - NHW10 was first generation sold only in Japan but may be found in other Pacific countries.

2000-2003 Model - NHW11 second generation known as 'Prius I' in GreenHybrid.com mileage database. Also called 'Prius Classic.' It has a small rear spoiler that reduces drag at highway speeds.

2004-current Model - NHW20 third generation known as 'Prius II' in GreenHybrid.com mileage database. A hatchback without a rear spoiler.

ICE - internal combusion engine. On Prius, a 1500 cc, Atkinson engine with extended intake valve openinig to reduce compression ratio to 8:1 while expansion ratio remains 13:1.

MG1 - motor generator one built into the transmission provides engine starting, non-moving electricity and balances the engine torque in the electronicly controlled, constant velocity planetary gear (CVT).

MG2 - motor generatore two built inito the transmission providies forward traction, regenerative brakinig and reverse gear.

PSD - power split device is the planetary gear that couples the engine, MG1 and output drive train feeding the final reduction gears and MG2.

pulse and glide - a type of high mileage driving that involves accellerating to a target speed and then gently feathering the throttle to let the car coast down to a minimum speed with the ICE off. In one controlled test, an NHW20 and team of drivers achieved 110 MPG over a 14 mile loop.

stealth mode - to drive on electric only power. The NHW20 models can be modified with an electric vehicle mode switch. In all others, this is achieved by low speeds and gentle accellerator pressure.

transaxle - the combination transmission and differential in the front-wheel drive Prius. Attached to the side of the ICE, it houses MG1 and MG2 and has output shafts for the front wheels.
2) Driving for MPG
Try to preserve vehicle momentum instead of regenerative braking and startup: brake early and coast to 'stop lights' just as it turns green; modest speeds; follow but do not tailgate large profile vehicles.

In cold weather, use a 'warm-up' route at low speeds if possible before higher speeds. The 'warm-up' route is long enough if the engine 'auto-stops' at the last stop sign or liight. Warmer weather can use a shorter 'warm-up' route.

When approaching destination, use 1-2 mile electric only or 'stealth mode' to maximize trip MPG.

Try to 'chain' trips to minimize cooling between each destinataion.

Miniimize speeds into a headwind or try to follow large vehicles without tailgating.

Keep your weekend 'chore' MPG separate from your standard, weekly 'commute' MPG by topping off Monday morning and Friday evening.

Techniques that improve commute MPG need to be tracked as single variable changes.

Use cruse control, if comfortable with it, to minimze fuel wasting variations.

In summer, park where it will be shaded and in winter, in a sunny place.

Back in to park to drive off when you start.
3) Handling (for new owners)
The fuel tank has a flexible bladder to minimize gas fumes but this means: (1) it is not terribly accurate, (2) sometimes the calculated and displayed MPG can be off by more than 5 MPG.

The mechanical brakes are quite ordinary because the regenerative braking is handled in the transmission. Because of regenerative braking, your brake shoes tend to last 3-4 times longer than ordinary brakes.

The engine oil is just like any car and easy to change yourself or at discount places. Just insist that they not overfill it. Have them take out the excess until they do it RIGHT or you'll pay in lower mileage.

Get a tire gage and/or fill with nitrogren. Keep the tires as hard as possible, 42/40 works for most tires but always ask. The front tires need to be 2 psi harder for proper handling and best ABS operation.

The "B" mode is used for additional engine braking going down long, mountain grades. You have to press the button to move it into to "B" and can do this will driving. When done, just move it back to "D" for better MPG.

4) Maintenance for MPG
Keep tires at maximum with 2 PSI more in front than rear for better handling. Stock tires are often run at 42/40. Recheck pressure at least every month with a trusted tire gage. Reportedly nitrogen filled tires may not require monthly pressure checks.

Keep ICE oil at 3/4 between 'empty' and 'full' to minimize ICE splash energy losses. Synthetics are OK but we lack empiricial data comparing Toyota oil and 3d party synthetics.

Check transaxle oil early and replace if contaminated or discolored. There is an experiment with Amsoil ATF but no results yet. NHW11 uses "Type T" and the NHW20 uses "Type W".

5) Maintenance for Long Life
In high humidity and corrosive areas, check the brakes frequently to avoid binding and uneven rotor wear problems.

Make sure after-market electrical devices can not drain the auxillary, 12 VDC battery from unexpected loads. Normally the cigarette lighter is "OFF" when the ignition is in lock position.

When jumping a dead 12 VDC battery, check and double check the polarity since a reverse connection can fry most of the expen$ive control computers instantly.

A Mazda Miata battery can replace the 12 VDC battery provided an adapter terminal kit is gotten for the smaller sized terminal, Japanese connector.

Keep the filters clean or replaced frequently.

Fleet reports indicate the NHW11 models may need to have steering assembly checked frequently.

In cold weather, an engine block heater can save nearly 100 ml. of gas due to faster warm-up.

Use 'rain-out' to minimize use of windshield wipers and keep rear view mirrors clear.

Check the throttle assembly every 50,000 miles for butterfly soot.

If you are down to your last key or key-fob, buy a replacement from Ebay and 'teach' the new key or key-fob to your car. If you lose the last key or key-fob, you'll have to replace the $1,600 hybrid vehicle control ECU.

-----
This is all I have time for right now. I just wanted to get it started. Too bad we don't have a Wiki style, shared file, update capability. Still, we can make it work.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-30-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Tochatihu
2001-2003 Prius FAQ outline (needs text and links)

Tire inflation, life, replacement options, snow tires
B mode use, meaning
HOV lanes
Transmission design and operation
MPG typical, range, improving
Warning lights/TSB EG011-03
Warning lights/other, including loose gas cap
Accelerator butterfly soot (one of my favorites)
Accelerator pedal failure (the other)
12 volt battery/life, fail symptoms, replacement
Roof racks and hitch receivers
Pwer steering shakes/extended warranty
HV battery reseal, special service campaign
HV battery life, SOC range, temperature control
HV no recharge in "N"
ABS brake cutout over bumps
Traction control/overspin protection
Toyota parts discounters, aftermarket parts
ULEV, SULEV meaning, fuel sulfur content
Fuel octane requirement, running out of gas, guage linearity
Blank screen recovery, Hidden diagnostic screen
Maintenance schedules, DIY, technical manuals, miniscanner
Resolving service problems (at a higher level)
Synthetic oil debate
RTFM
John1701a, other Internet groups, VFAQ.net
...and other topics general to hybrid vehicles.

Others please continue?
I've tried to cover some of the items underlined in the current version, V00.02.
Some of the other areas, not unlined, I don't feel comfortable addressing. Let me know what you'd like to see and I'll edit the original message.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Bob, I will send you some draft content for some of the non-underlined topics as time allows. Incorporate as you see fit. I support your effort and will try to make useful contributions.

DAS

Old 03-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Tochatihu
Bob, I will send you some draft content for some of the non-underlined topics as time allows. Incorporate as you see fit. I support your effort and will try to make useful contributions.
Thanks! My experience in the past is a good FAQ requires one 'editor' who assembles the contributions into something that by consensus, we agree 'is the FAQ.' This doesn't happen instantly but like Wikipedia, accumulates knowledge over time.

Once it reaches a "good state," we'll hold a 'vote' to see if we're ready to publish and I'll forward a note to Jason. Hopefully, we can get the baseline 'sticky posted' and go from there.

BTW, I'm open to just about any comment or contribution. Best of all, even badly worded ones.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Engineering first

I've added the following:

Keep your weekend 'chore' MPG separate from your standard, weekly 'commute' MPG. Techniques that improve commute MPG need to be tracked as single variable changes while the weekend 'chore' driving may use different techniques. By topping off Sunday evening-Monday morning and later Friday-evening, you'll be able to measure which changes led to what MPG effect.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Engineering first

Made the following changes:
Defined length of 'warm-up' as long enough that the last stop causes the car to 'auto-stop' the engine.

Recommended driving on 'cruse-control' if comfortable with it.

Described the importance of a second key or key-fob to avoid a $1,600 hybrid vehicle ECU change if it is lost. (could be worded better.)
Bob Wilson

Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 AM
Engineering first

Added:
In the summer, park in the shade and in the summer a sunny place.
Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Outline for FAQ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands