P&G and my outstanding results

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default P&G and my outstanding results

So I was getting exceptionally good mileage (esp. given the hilly area I live in) so I decided I had to share it with everyone! I've never gotten this low (or high in mpg terms) before!

- Filled up on Wed night
- travelled 102kms on Thurs with an average of 3.7L/100km (64mpg). Saw a high of 4.0L/100km and a low of 3.4L/100km on the Consumption screen
- I P&G like my life dependent on it keeping traffic in mind of course.
- Today, the tally is 250kms and 3.8L/100km (a number of trips going straight up a hill killed the mileage).

Hopefully I can last through the weekend (which is usually the mileage killer b/c of short trips to the stores and restaurants).

If I can stay under 4L/100km (which is Transport Canada's city rating), I'll be amazed and estatic!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: P&G and my outstanding results

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
. . .
- Filled up on Wed night
- travelled 102kms on Thurs with an average of 3.7L/100km (64mpg). Saw a high of 4.0L/100km and a low of 3.4L/100km on the Consumption screen
- I P&G like my life dependent on it keeping traffic in mind of course.
- Today, the tally is 250kms and 3.8L/100km (a number of trips going straight up a hill killed the mileage).
. . .
Can you repeat the test with the same block-to-block speed set on the cruise control? It would be interesting to see the difference between P&G vs. constant speed, cruise control, over the same route and similar conditions.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-17-2007, 01:38 AM

well considering this is the first time I ever got this low, I would say that's pretty significant even though I don't have a "constant speed" experiment to back up my claim. It's bests my regular tanks by 0.5L/100km.

Anyway, to answer your question I'm not sure if I can mimic the route/conditions with CC. The reason is that on Thurs and Fri, I went to places that I normally wouldn't go (i.e. I wasn't travelling over my regular route so I guess this makes it even more amazing since I'm not that familiar with the terrain, traffic and lights.) Also, last week was unusually cool (overcast and some showers).

Old 06-17-2007, 03:37 AM
Engineering first

well considering this is the first time I ever got this low, I would say that's pretty significant even though I don't have a "constant speed" experiment to back up my claim. It's bests my regular tanks by 0.5L/100km.

Anyway, to answer your question I'm not sure if I can mimic the route/conditions with CC. The reason is that on Thurs and Fri, I went to places that I normally wouldn't go (i.e. I wasn't travelling over my regular route so I guess this makes it even more amazing since I'm not that familiar with the terrain, traffic and lights.) Also, last week was unusually cool (overcast and some showers).
No problem. If you get a chance to run the test, I'd be interested in your numbers.

The notation I use is, 25-43 P&G for a pulse to 43 mph followed by a glide to 25 mph. This is the maximum speed range where the cruise control can handle all speed changes and gives an average speed of 34 mph.

In comparing 25-43 P&G vs 34 CC, P&G came out better because of the longer ICE off times. To sustain 34 mph, the Prius turned the ICE on and off more frequently than manual, P&G achieved. This changes at slower speeds.

Using 15-23 P&G with an average speed of 18 mph had worse performance than holding a steady 18 mph. The manual P&G had more ICE cycling than a steady 18 mph.

Unlike the gas-only and IMA vehicles, the Prius has substantial energy storage in the large traction battery. The gas-only vehicles have only kinetic and potential energy storage. The IMA vehicles have a relatively smaller battery storage ability so kinetic and potential energy storage are more important.

On flat terrain where potential energy storage is impractical and at speeds closer to 18-20 mph, the best mileage strategy appears to be using the battery-ICE cycling. As the average speed increases, kinetic energy storage reaches parity with P&G but I have not seen this relationship accurately modeled for our Prius, yet.

On hilly terrain, I would expect the optimum profile to be a steep climb followed by a long slope. A warmed up Prius will shutdown the ICE on the long slope efficiently converting the hill potential energy to sustain the speed. What this means commuting route planning will probably have different morning and evening routes.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-17-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
No problem. If you get a chance to run the test, I'd be interested in your numbers.

The notation I use is, 25-43 P&G for a pulse to 43 mph followed by a glide to 25 mph. This is the maximum speed range where the cruise control can handle all speed changes and gives an average speed of 34 mph.

In comparing 25-43 P&G vs 34 CC, P&G came out better because of the longer ICE off times. To sustain 34 mph, the Prius turned the ICE on and off more frequently than manual, P&G achieved. This changes at slower speeds.

Using 15-23 P&G with an average speed of 18 mph had worse performance than holding a steady 18 mph. The manual P&G had more ICE cycling than a steady 18 mph.

Unlike the gas-only and IMA vehicles, the Prius has substantial energy storage in the large traction battery. The gas-only vehicles have only kinetic and potential energy storage. The IMA vehicles have a relatively smaller battery storage ability so kinetic and potential energy storage are more important.

On flat terrain where potential energy storage is impractical and at speeds closer to 18-20 mph, the best mileage strategy appears to be using the battery-ICE cycling. As the average speed increases, kinetic energy storage reaches parity with P&G but I have not seen this relationship accurately modeled for our Prius, yet.

On hilly terrain, I would expect the optimum profile to be a steep climb followed by a long slope. A warmed up Prius will shutdown the ICE on the long slope efficiently converting the hill potential energy to sustain the speed. What this means commuting route planning will probably have different morning and evening routes.

Bob Wilson

Indeed, one of the trips was on a road with slight rolling hills. My P&G range is 40-60km/h (sometimes 45-65km/h). This particular stretch allowed me to P&G and let the hills bring me up to speed so really I was just gliding up and down the speed range because of the hills. I had 15 mins worth of 2.5L/100km bars on the Consumption Screen (that's what... 90+mpg?).

Old 06-20-2007, 10:24 PM

Update: 619.8kms and sitting at 4.0L/100km (59mpg). I still have 3 bars left!

Old 06-25-2007, 06:33 PM

Final tally: 4.0L/100km and 851.7kms. That's a new record both distance and mileage. The thing was I drove 50kms on the blinking bar and refuelled 34.780 litres. That's less than my other record tanks where I pumped 37 litres. That means I could've done 900 even 1,000kms .

The up side is that this is the earliest that I've achieved a record tank so it looks promising.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:16 AM
Engineering first

Final tally: 4.0L/100km and 851.7kms. That's a new record both distance and mileage. The thing was I drove 50kms on the blinking bar and refuelled 34.780 litres. That's less than my other record tanks where I pumped 37 litres. That means I could've done 900 even 1,000kms .

The up side is that this is the earliest that I've achieved a record tank so it looks promising.
For Canada, 851.7 km / 532 mi., is not bad. Nothing else, just P&G, right?

I think the latest driving target is 1,600 km and I understand at least 52 Japanese have achieved that mark. Individual and team USA drivers have achieved that mark and I would expect to hear more reports this summer.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 06-26-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I think the latest driving target is 1,600 km and I understand at least 52 Japanese have achieved that mark.
We call it 1000 milers, so it is more than 1,609.31 km.

As of today, the numer of Japanese 1000 milers is 65.
http://prius.2-d.jp/ippiki/detail.php?mid=5&mver=65
The total occurrences are 256 now and the number is increasing day by day.
http://prius.2-d.jp/ippiki/detail.php?mid=14&mver=0
The most achiever did 38 times and he is recording 25 continuous more than 1000 mile tanks since January 2006.
http://eshy.s22.xrea.com/cgi-bin/nen...n=%82P%82O%82W

Ken@Japan

Last edited by ken1784; 06-26-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:40 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by ken1784
We call it 1000 milers, so it is more than 1,609.31 km.

As of today, the numer of Japanese 1000 miler drivers is 65.
http://prius.2-d.jp/ippiki/detail.php?mid=5&mver=65
The total occurrences are 256 now.
http://prius.2-d.jp/ippiki/detail.php?mid=14&mver=0
The most achiever did 38 times and he is recording 25 continuous tanks since January 2006.
http://eshy.s22.xrea.com/cgi-bin/nen...n=%82P%82O%82W
. . .
Excellent!

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: P&G and my outstanding results

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands