Pause of CD

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs down Pause of CD

One of my frustrations with the Prius is the controls on the CD player. It appears that the engineer at Toyota was thinking outside the box when he lost the box. I mean ... the guy is working with a computer and digital display (I have the NAV system in an '08) and totally forgot to give the end user a GUI that works like a CD player! It's like he wants us to take our eyes off the road while we figure out how to punch a button.

My biggest problem with it is a simple pause while going through a fast food drive through. For the longest, I used the power button. Easy to spot. Now I just switch from CD to Aux and back. Neither of these solutions to pausing the playback temporarily seems kosher. Am I the only one grinding his teeth over this? Is this just another manifestation of **** retentive fixation, and I should hurry up and see a shrink, or does someone else think this bites as well?

I love a well designed tool or gadget. I sometimes buy things I don't even need because of this. So you can understand my frustration in finding that such a remarkable piece of engineering as the Prius should have such a flaw in the design that, while not diminishing the intended purpose of the tool from a driving standpoint, tarnishes the overall aesthetics of the design from a usability standpoint.

But that's just me!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Pause of CD

I wholeheartedly agree. Toyota seems to have "dropped the ball" in several catagories with the 2008 Prius. I have a Pkg 6 Touring Model. I too was very disappointed that NO pause button exists on the 6 cd changer. I also rely on just using 'off' on power button.

I'm sure you have by now also discovered the auto door lock issue that Toyota Describes as a "owners manual printing error" Whereby there is NO AUTOLOCKING DOOR FEATURE! They explained it to me that engineering WAS NOT ABLE TO TIMELY CONFIGURE PROPER WIRING FOR 2008 PRIUS? Even though it is listed in the owners manual as a working and customizeable feature? There Is A Great Example Of Toyota's Superior Quality Control?
So What, They Have No Owners Manual Proofreaders Available Anywhere at Toyota?

Also there is a serious 'flaw' with My Factory Navigation System. DOES NOT RECOGNIZE MY HOME STREET ADDRESS?

It just keeps telling me "this street address is incorrect" and will NOT allow me to input it in the system.
Our subdivision has been here for 15 years? I had to use longitude/latitude coordinates to be close to my home address? Fortunately my local dealership is going 'above and beyond' and will provide me with a FREE update disc when they come out in the new 2009 model Prius later this year. An Update Disc May or May Not Solve the problem.
I have also reported the address problem to Navteq who does the mapping for Toyota's Nav. Systems as well.

All in all, we Love Our Prius, GREAT MPG, 43-45 Which is 3MPG More than the Touring Model is rated for.
Handles like a dream, and the hatchback design is perfect for us. Regards, Robert

Last edited by chimemaker1; 09-10-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling/word error
Old 09-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Pause of CD

I didn't know about the auto locking door slip up until reading about it here. That one doesn't bother me much. I came from an '04 4Runner to the Prius, so I was used to having it. It just isn't an issue for me. I'd rather have the doors auto lock after I walk away, just in case I forget to press the remote's lock button.

When I was in Russellville, Arkansas where I purchased the car, I found that my daughter lived in a whole neighborhood that wasn't recognized by the NAV unit. Oddly enough, it had the streets and addresses, but couldn't route anywhere in that neighborhood. It pretty much said "You're on your own. I can't give turn by turn guidance." The neighborhood had to be at least 25 years old.

I'm getting past 6,000 miles on the odometer in my '08 and it is fickle about the gas milage. My average on the last tank with slightly over 300 mi. is 46 mpg. Some short trips, it seems like I never get up to 50 mpg. But others, I'm getting 70 or more. I think it has to do with me living 2 miles from work. Somewhere close to 10 trips a week are no more than 2 miles. The GCE is just getting warmed up by the time I reach my destination. My mpg would be a lot higher if I drove 10 miles to work, but my TPY (Tanks Per Year) would go up.

Interesting story... I had a man in a large black SUV pull in behind me as I got home the other day. He wanted to quiz me about the Prius. Seems he owns a taxi company in the area and wanted to replace his entire fleet of Impalas and whatnot. I told him if it was me, that's what I'd do. I'll be looking to see if it happens. I use those cabs every time I have to get a flight out.

One more gripe and I'm done.

I'm 6'1" and can adjust the seat to get comfortable while driving. It's even pretty nice on long trips. But, when I pull up to a stoplight, if I don't leave a car's length between me and the 'normal' place to stop, like the crosswalk line, I can't see the red light without leaning over quite a bit. The seat sits a little high or the windshield is a little low. But, this is just another little annoyance that I could do without.

I like the hatchback too.

Best,
Herb

Old 09-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pause of CD

Originally Posted by Bull Winkus
I didn't know about the auto locking door slip up until reading about it here. That one doesn't bother me much. I came from an '04 4Runner to the Prius, so I was used to having it. It just isn't an issue for me. I'd rather have the doors auto lock after I walk away, just in case I forget to press the remote's lock button.

When I was in Russellville, Arkansas where I purchased the car, I found that my daughter lived in a whole neighborhood that wasn't recognized by the NAV unit. Oddly enough, it had the streets and addresses, but couldn't route anywhere in that neighborhood. It pretty much said "You're on your own. I can't give turn by turn guidance." The neighborhood had to be at least 25 years old.

I'm getting past 6,000 miles on the odometer in my '08 and it is fickle about the gas milage. My average on the last tank with slightly over 300 mi. is 46 mpg. Some short trips, it seems like I never get up to 50 mpg. But others, I'm getting 70 or more. I think it has to do with me living 2 miles from work. Somewhere close to 10 trips a week are no more than 2 miles. The GCE is just getting warmed up by the time I reach my destination. My mpg would be a lot higher if I drove 10 miles to work, but my TPY (Tanks Per Year) would go up.

Interesting story... I had a man in a large black SUV pull in behind me as I got home the other day. He wanted to quiz me about the Prius. Seems he owns a taxi company in the area and wanted to replace his entire fleet of Impalas and whatnot. I told him if it was me, that's what I'd do. I'll be looking to see if it happens. I use those cabs every time I have to get a flight out.

One more gripe and I'm done.

I'm 6'1" and can adjust the seat to get comfortable while driving. It's even pretty nice on long trips. But, when I pull up to a stoplight, if I don't leave a car's length between me and the 'normal' place to stop, like the crosswalk line, I can't see the red light without leaning over quite a bit. The seat sits a little high or the windshield is a little low. But, this is just another little annoyance that I could do without.

I like the hatchback too.

Best,
Herb

If I may join in on this conversation. As you can see I have an '06. After reading the post on the CD pause, I checked mine. Sure enough, no pause. However, my door locks are fine, but my milage just rolls all over. We're not talking a 2 mile drive. Even on cross country drives. I think the wind (head wind, tail wind, and maybe even cross wind) can be a factor.

As to the GPS. I found I get best results by entering the street name. Many times the 5 selection towns/cities will display the correct town. Selecting that send me to an address screen. If, for example I'm searching for a motel. The name might not get a hit, but the street name, address usually works.

The GPS works almost perfect in major cities: Chicago, LA, Toronto, On - Vancouver, BC. In the empty places of the continent - it can get you lost. Trust a paper map - or maybe another GPS.

Last edited by centrider; 09-14-2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: conversation reply was confusing