PRIUS-3 new models comming out ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:39 AM
joe540ci
Default PRIUS-3 new models comming out ?

Just would like to know if there is any posts on this subject.I would be Intrested in the wagon for golf clubs and luggage ect. Any insight would be welcome.....THANKS JOE

Old 12-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Newbie Greenie
Default Re: PRIUS-3 new models comming out ?

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
Just would like to know if there is any posts on this subject.I would be Intrested in the wagon for golf clubs and luggage ect. Any insight would be welcome.....THANKS JOE
I can't speak to whether any new models are coming out, but in terms of golf clubs and luggage, I have absolutely no problems with either in my 2006 Prius. I routinely can put in two sets of golf clubs in the back with out having to put the back seat down.

For one golf trip I was able to fit four sets of clubs in the cargo area with 1/2 the back seat down. We road three people in the car with that configuration.

As an additional comparison, I have a Subaru Outback wagon and I find the Prius (with the back seats folded down) gives me a nearly equivalent cargo capacity. I attribute this to the fact the back wheel wells on the Prius do not intrude into the cargo area as much as the Outback wheel wells do.

As such, I doubt you have to wait for a "new" model to come out to handle your cargo needs.

Good luck.

UTpiper

Old 12-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
I too have put two sets of clubs in the back of my 2005 Prius. I've also put a 37" flat screen TV and one set of clubs there too.

The idea of a new lineup of vehicles, all hybrids or some other advanced power system, intrigues me. The new Prius is due out in Fall '08 as an '09 model with what is rumored to be a significantly different power system.
Choose from, Li-Ion batteries, diesel hybrid, turbo charged gasser?

But which models?
I will guess that there still will be a midsized hatch like the current Prius. That seems pretty safe.

The next hybrid is often estimated ( hehe ) to be a minivan. The problem is that the current hybrid minivan in Japan is the Estima which is smaller than the US Sienna. The Estima also uses the same 2.4L +HSD as in the TCH now. If a hybrid minivan came to the States could this power system go into a larger vehicle and still deliver the power American families expect? Might it suffer in comparison to the new 250+ hp engines such as the 3.5L that will be in all the new Sienna's and Odysseys? Well I think it would not suffer if it was known as the Prius minivan. Bring the Estima over as-is and just call it the Prius minivan geared for less space but much better fuel economy. The parallel of course is the Prius and the Camry. So a minivan buyer could opt for a smaller 2.4L +HSD Prius minivan getting 33-36 mpg or the larger more powerful 3.5L ICE Sienna getting 22-27 mpg.

Toyota also needs a smaller-than-Prius hybrid. Something in the range of the Yaris or Scion or base Corolla if priced in the $teens would sell like crazy if it really got 60-80 mpg on an average.

A small diesel hybrid Prius pickup? Something like the Toyota pickups of the early 90's.

Any other wishes/guesses?

Last edited by kdhspyder; 12-09-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by kdhspyder
. . .
Toyota also needs a smaller-than-Prius hybrid. Something in the range of the Yaris or Scion or base Corolla if priced in the $teens would sell like crazy if it really got 60-80 mpg on an average. . . .
I like all of your suggestions but the one I keep thinking about is tacking a Prius drive onto a Scion xB body. The xB body has the utilitarian space in a package small enough to match the Prius drive. There is enough space to put significant but not large loads in the xB. In city driving, it should do pretty good.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-09-2006, 02:31 PM
joe540ci

[quote=bwilson4web;102050]I like all of your suggestions but the one I keep thinking about is tacking a Prius drive onto a Scion xB body. The xB body has the utilitarian space in a package small enough to match the Prius drive. There is enough space to put significant but not large loads in the xB. In city driving, it should do pretty good.

I don't like the Scion xB looks but, I agree with everything else you say. I would like a Matrix or Rav-4 or camry wagon
to be next,something with more room than my TCH and more mileage than my HIHY....JOE

Last edited by JOE540CI; 12-09-2006 at 02:33 PM.