Prius Abuse

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Prius Abuse

Is it possible to Neutral Bomb a Prius? If you're unfamiliar with the term, it is when you set it into neutral, hold the engine at redline, and slam it into drive. The effect can be increased by doing it from a reverse roll. I am going to buy a new Prius to replace my gas guzzling GTO but I hope I can still satisfy my performance fix.

How about Manually shifting from first into neutral, revving it and dropping it into 2nd to chirp gears?

Old 02-05-2007, 03:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius Abuse

(I'm going to assume that you are sincere about asking this, though I think you are trolling.) The answer is doubtful. The transmission and TRAC would prevent that from happening. Doing neutral bombs on any car is foolish IMHO.

Buy a Prius for the daily commute and keep the GTO for the weekend. That is what I do (or will do once spring rolls around - yes I own a new-style GTO.)

Old 02-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by ls3ss
Is it possible to . . . set it into neutral, hold the engine at redline, and slam it into drive.
It is impossible to redline the engine when in "N".

The effect can be increased by doing it from a reverse roll. . . .
No, the engine shuts down when in "R". There is no reverse gear because this is handled by motor generator two (MG2.)

How about Manually shifting from first into neutral, revving it and dropping it into 2nd to chirp gears?
When you shift from any gear into the "N", the engine won't spin up in response to the accelerator. In effect, "N" disconnects the engine from accelerator operation.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-05-2007, 07:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livewire
(I'm going to assume that you are sincere about asking this, though I think you are trolling.)
Bingo!

Always suspect a troll when his post count is exactly 1.

Harry

Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Prius Abuse

Originally Posted by Earthling
Bingo!

Always suspect a troll when his post count is exactly 1.
Or a 'student' asking for a survey.

Still, I use them as an introduction to repost technical details, not for the troll but for our community. Sometimes folks are shy to ask about technical details and a straight forward, accurate reply is enough. True trolls reveal themselves with ad hominem posting and the bang-triangle of death.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

OMG, I can't see doing this to ANY automatic transmission! Ls3ss, if you're for real, call a tranny shop & see what a new transmission for the GTO would cost! Power/braking, while still not good on the tranny, won't net you the kind of failure you'll see with your "Neutral Bomb."

Old 02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

The above answers are correct, and also, if you try to shift into reverse while going more than a couple MPH forward, it won't do it (I believe it puts it into neutral). Same thing happens if you hit Park while moving too fast.