Prius blind spot bigger than normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Prius blind spot bigger than normal?

It seems to me that the blind spot on the Prius (I have a 2006) is bigger than normal. Before I change lane to the right, I always look over my shoulder. But if a car in the adjacent lane is in just the right spot, the window design seems to be blocking my view of it. If that car is also accelerating, changing lanes can mean trouble. I have noticed this a few times, and just recently almost had an accident. Now I check especially carefully. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Default Re: Prius blind spot bigger than normal?

I don't drive a Prius so I can't answer this specific question but long, long ago I trained myself to look in the side view mirror, and then simply lean forward to get a more complete view out of the side view mirror, before changing lanes.

No look over the shoulder or expensive, un-needed "blindspot electronics" necessary.

Just my 2 cents....

Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure what you mean by "normal". Comparing to other cars? The earlier Prius? As I recall, the Prius has a tail fin somewhere in the middle of the rear window glass as well.

I do think rear corner visibility is getting worse on the newer cars, due in part to more upswept tail end designs. We went from a 1991 Accord to our current 2006 Civic, and I notice a definite downgrade in rear corner visibility. The rear and rear/side windows are shallower/higher, the rear corner roof pillar wider, and there is a forest of rear seat headrests.

I'm never confident shoulder checking, resort to 2~3 checks, and using the side mirrors more.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just to follow up on my own post, I have been experimenting a bit, and I do think that the Prius (mine is a 2006) has a bigger blind spot than most other cars. I think it is the slopping body design in the rear. It blocks more of the view than a squarer (typical of most nonhybrids) design would. It might also be heighth sensitive. I am moderately tall at 6'1". I have also heard people say they were too short for a Prius (5'2" and under). Maybe at 5'9" or so, the view works better.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

I must say my blind spot, Prius 2005, is bigger than normal for left turns, only. I find view is great in general, but for left turns I've twice now nearly run over a pedestrian crossing the road at my blind spot. I have to extend my head left to actually see the area of the crosswalk.
Any similar experience?