Prius Body Kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Prius Body Kits

Ok after 4 days of looking for this website on the Kenstyle full custom wide body ground effects kit, this is what I have learned.... The car pictured is an 05' Prius with a custom ground effects kit built for the Japanese Auto Show & are not being made to sell at this time..

Below is the Kenstyle wide body kit (custom)

Next are the kits being mass produced for sale to the public..

This is the Modellista front spoiler from japanparts

This is the front spoiler offered from Sigma

This is a Kenstyle NHW20 Prius Aero kit

Found here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...6lr%3D%26sa%3DN

I hope this helps anyone, who may have also been looking for what these kits look like.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius Body Kits

If they are to improve aerodynamics it would be worth the money. The CD on the Prius is already .026 which is very good. I'd spend my money on other things.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This is just a general thought, but I've been confused for a very long time now regarding the need for people to go out there and put extranious layers of plastic on vehicles that are already mostly plastic. To boot, most of the vehicles that I see that have been modified are not brand new vehicles, but mostly worn out Honda's, the ocassional Neon and one Plymouth Breeze that is just hideous looking now, not that it was a looker when somebody's grandmother was driving it.

In addition, why spend money making a vehicle look ugly? Why spend money making a vehicle physically lower to the ground than reasonable or necessary? Why put nitrous on a vehicle in which the engine is not able to handle the stresses of burning nox?

The Prius just isn't a vehicle which lends itself to body kits. It has a unique charm in its design right now, why ruin it with items that honestly don't look good on any car.

Old 02-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeromeP
This is just a general thought, but I've been confused for a very long time now regarding the need for people to go out there and put extranious layers of plastic on vehicles that are already mostly plastic. To boot, most of the vehicles that I see that have been modified are not brand new vehicles, but mostly worn out Honda's, the ocassional Neon and one Plymouth Breeze that is just hideous looking now, not that it was a looker when somebody's grandmother was driving it.

In addition, why spend money making a vehicle look ugly? Why spend money making a vehicle physically lower to the ground than reasonable or necessary? Why put nitrous on a vehicle in which the engine is not able to handle the stresses of burning nox?

The Prius just isn't a vehicle which lends itself to body kits. It has a unique charm in its design right now, why ruin it with items that honestly don't look good on any car.
i'd venture the guess that there are as many answers to your last question (why spend....?) as there are people who spend the money on their cars, prius or other.

i tend to customize my cars for personal satisfaction, usually that of adding some feature to the car that i think it needed and that the manufacturer didn't. e.g., trailering for my prius. i like adding LED lights wherever possible, and just bought some nice, large side-markers that will double as directional side-safety markers on my prius, and maybe even front fender just in front of the front doors AND on the rear bumpers on the sides. how about the backup ultrasonic sensors to help parking? currently sitting in my garage waiting for warmer weather for me to start drilling holes in the car.

i figured one more out, today. i got the idea to put white LED lights on the back/sides of the rear bumper to warn drivers when i'm backing out of a parking space and i can't see around the pick-em-ups or SUVs parked next to me. today it dawned on me to hook them to one of the new electronic flasher units to make them flash, for even more visibility. right after i thought of that, i figured i could also put a beeper (Sonalert-style) somewhere under the rear bumper too, and then it would beep outside the car like the stupid inside-beeper does in reverse now, and i could have even more reason to turn off that dumb indicator. and be safer at the same time.

the front air dams might be slightly effective, but most of us know that their first encounter with a steep driveway approach or a high-flying curb or parking cement block will smoosh them to smithereens, but i thought the rear one pictured below just plain looks nice. it would be nice if it did something good for aerodynamics and mpg, but i kind of doubt that, and won't pay money to do that experiment (gee, maybe it would help when i'm trailering.... )

so, why do the rest of you do custom things to YOUR cars???