Prius HEV Gauges / Dash Survey

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default Prius HEV Gauges / Dash Survey

Hello,
I work for a company that makes a OBD2 dashboard display. I won't mention any names because I don't want to violate any advertising policies on the forums. Anyways, we are focusing on making a specific software version of this dashboard that will support the Prius and Volt. We have recieved the extended data lists from both OEMs and plan to offer a high level of data, much more than generic OBD2 devices.

I wanted to find out what you would be interested in viewing/logging on the display. Ideally we want to create three different color screens that represent all of the useful information you could want. If it was your choice, what would you put on the screen? If it's helpful I can post the prius data list so you can pick from it.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 10-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Prius HEV Gauges / Dash Survey

Originally Posted by bjherron
Hello,
I wanted to find out what you would be interested in viewing/logging on the display. Ideally we want to create three different color screens that represent all of the useful information you could want. If it was your choice, what would you put on the screen? If it's helpful I can post the prius data list so you can pick from it.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian,

You will find that many Prius owners use the Scanguage which in its stock mode can display 4 of many parameters and is programmable via their techie "xGuage" functionality to provide access to detailed hybrid parameters such as Traction Battery module voltage variation. There are many threads on this topic. Use the search function to read them.

JeffD

Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I think I should clarify by posting the data list I am working with for Prius. Below is the list we are sorting thru, we are just trying to figure out what people want to see so we can come up with a top 50 parameters. Once we have that, we want to design 3 dashboards that display the most popular info on our 4.3" 480x272 color screen. The list is a little intimidating.

data list attached, all 719 items

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
prius pid list.pdf (33.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by bjherron
Thanks for the reply. I think I should clarify by posting the data list I am working with for Prius. Below is the list we are sorting thru, we are just trying to figure out what people want to see so we can come up with a top 50 parameters. Once we have that, we want to design 3 dashboards that display the most popular info on our 4.3" 480x272 color screen. The list is a little intimidating.

data list attached, all 719 items
Your list seems complete (a little repetitive). Please consider user programmability for at least one screen. For normal use, three screens of popular parameters suffices, but when problems prop up in a Prius (yes, it does happen) some of the more detailed parameters need to be made visible.

Another issue is price. The Scanguage is about $150 but has some limitations. The AutoGenuity has more capability at $450 (with the Toyota optional package) with some reporting bugs and requires a PC for display (as does the very capable, but expensive Toyota testing package). I hope that your device is reasonably priced.

Consider asking this question over at PriusChat as well, especially in the technical discussion group.

JeffD

Last edited by jdenenberg; 10-12-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

somtimes the lists we get do have repeat values. They are different PID addresses and some have different filtering applied by the ECU. When we design the three dashboards the user will also have the ability to redesign them at any time. We just want to make somthing that is useful and easy to setup out of the box.

Price wise I think we're going to be under $600, but that includes on on-screen display and a lot of other things. I'd love to make it for $150, but this product is more for the serious enthusiast / geek and has a lot of features that you just can't do on a cheap processor and display (it runs Linux for example).

Thanks for the info
Brian