Prius I battery SoC 60 % normal?

Old 09-30-2004, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

I bought the Graham Miniscanner for my 2000 Prius. One thing I've learnt is that the battery SoC stays around 60 %. The range is from 45 % to 63 %. Is this right? Or is my battery severly degraded?

Old 09-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Site Founder

Enlighten my ignorant mind. SoC is what, again?

Old 09-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___SoC is State of Charge. It is a guesstimate of how full your pack is. <-- Better explanation.

___Johanerlandsson, Ni-MH’s in Hybrid’s were designed for a maximum 80% and minimum 20% for longevity reasons. Where your Prius keeps the pack sounds just about right from the pack tests I have seen. Do a Google search for NREL or Argonne labs and Prius. You will run into quite a few interesting tests on the Prius I that can only help you understand what the SW is trying to do behind the scenes. IIRC, ~ 50 – 56% was where the Prius SW liked to keep the SoC in your Hybrid. If I find some more time, I will find the links as I have a ton of them … For reference purposes only as you can well imagine

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-30-2004, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Wayne,

I was actually expecting a quick answer from you.

If you find the links, I'd be grateful if you published them here.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Johanerlandsson:

___Here are two that should help answer as well as help you understand your Prius I’s battery management better … In all actuality, I believe the Prius I might be a better highway mileage champ then the Prius II due to its smaller frontal area and lighter weight. Cd not withstanding … Using your Graham scanner, look up Rick Reese’s comments on high fuel economy at varying load percentages and experiment from there.

http://www.ctts.nrel.gov/analysis/pdfs/sum...ation_sep01.pdf

http://www.eere.energy.gov/cleancities/pro.../vwbs2.cgi?6029

Specially designed charge and discharge chassis dynamometer test cycles revealed that the Insight limited battery usage to 60% of rated capacity, while the Prius limited battery usage to 40% of the rated capacity. The Prius uses substantially more pack energy over a given driving cycle but at the same time maintains the pack within a tight target state of charge (SOC) of 54% to 56%.
___Personally, I would love to give a Prius I a test commute or two to see what she is really worth with a Graham scanner’s Load Percentage guiding my way

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wayne,

If you ever come to Sweden, you can test my Prius and miniscanner as much as you like. Thanks!