Prius key fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Prius key fob

Another question, the car i purchased yesturday only came with 1 key fob, the garrage gave me a 2nd hand fob for another car, can this be reprogrammed or do i need to buy a new fob, I also trawled the web last night and found these guidelines - is this right? if I follow this will it reprogramme the 2nd key? any advice would be appreciated.

The Fob (for operating the car)
This isn't hard, as long as your new fob is not broken and you are able to follow simple directions. The whole process will take less than two minutes.

1. Insert old fob into slot and remove it 4 times in a row, and insert it a fifth time but leave it in there!
2. Open and close driver door 6 times.
3. Remove old fob from slot. Car is in fob programming mode at this point.
4. Insert new fob and leave in the slot for a full minute. Watch the blinking red anti-theft light on the dashboard. When it stops flashing and goes dark, your new fob is all set.
5. Remove the new fob and you're done. You should test both fobs to be sure they work properly.

Now for the door lock functions.

The Fob (for remotely unlocking/locking the doors)
1. Open the driver door with no fob in slot and the driver door unlocked and opened. Other doors can be locked or unlocked, it doesn't matter.
2. Insert old fob into slot and remove it twice within 5 seconds.
3. Close and open driver door twice.
4. Insert and remove old fob once.
5. Close and open driver door twice again.
6. Insert old fob in slot and close door.
7. Without pressing the brake, press power button, wait a second, press it again, wait a second, press it a third time to turn car back off.
8. Remove old fob from slot. You'll be in "add mode" at this point.
9. Car should lock and unlock doors TWICE to verify it is in add mode.
10. Press both buttons on new fob simultaneously for a second and a half!.
11 Within 3 seconds, press only the lock symbol button. yes it does matter which!
12. Car should respond with one quick lock/unlock to verify that the new fob is all set. If the car responds with two lock/unlocks, that means it didn't work. I don't know how to troubleshoot that problem. Maybe just try again.
13. To end this programming, open a door or put fob in the slot.
14. Enjoy the savings from NOT buying a fob from the dealership!!!!!
15. If you want metal keys, DO not buy them from ebay, they quoted me $7.92 CUT by them from dealer.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius key fob

Just a quick update, sat in my car opening and closing doors, inserting and removing fobs, pressing buttons, the good news is this works it took me under 5 minutes, yet the local Toyota garage wanted a minimum of 1/2 labour.
If you only have one key then this is definately worth a try. It worked for me and saved me £60