A Prius Miracle

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I have been looking at the Honda hybrids but recently saw the new model Prius and I was hooked by all the comfort and safety features that seem to be lacking in the Hondas. Most importantly to me the availability of side and curtain airbags.

So I found out quickly how much in demand they are, a 4-6 month wait, and my heart sank. But lo' and behold there was a miracle and its name was the Congressional Federal Credit Union. My wife and I lease throught them currently. They called the dealer they work with and as luck would have it they have a shipment coming in for June 1st and no one preordered the car I wanted, a white #9, and there is one in the shipment. I'm waiting for a call now to confirm it will be ours.

I had one concern. We haven't gotten to test drive one and we probably won't get a chance to (no biggie to us, we're blinded by love) but I was concerned that my wife may have a hard time reaching the pedals since she's only 5'1". Can anyone comment on that?

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Site Founder

Welcome to GreenHybrid!
I can't comment on your single concern, but can say that there is forward/back adjustment on the seats, and although there is no up/down adjustment the seat doesn't appearr to be very high.

Good luck getting your car, and keep us up to date!

Old 05-26-2004, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks,

Yeah, our current car has the up/down adjustment and that's what makes the difference for her.

Old 05-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast

the civic comes standard with side airbags.

Old 05-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

how can we get a hold of the Congressional Federal Credit Union?

Old 05-29-2004, 03:24 AM
Enthusiast

Kabal: I meant the side curtain airbags.

flare: the CFCU is located in Washington, DC. One might assume you must be a federal employee to be a part of it but that is not true. You only need to open a savings or checking account with them. My wife and I have had an account since December of 2001. We put $5 in and have never touched it since (no fees, no minimum balance).

I really can't say enough good things about them. The service is great and the people are wonderful. Finding a car through them is this simple: call and tell them what you want. They call dealers in the area and find it. Most cars they can buy for dealer invoice (the Prius was an exception due to demand, I just paid MSRP). Our last car, a 2002 Subaru WRX, we paid invoice for. They will pick the car up from the dealer and deliver it to you or you can meet them at the dealer and pick it up yourself. You just sign on th dotted line.

As far as financing they have pretty good rates. To buy its like 3.8% for up to 48 months and 4.8% for up to 84 months. For lease it is comparabe. Check their web site for the exact figures, its all laid out there.

Congressional Federal Credit Union

Old 05-29-2004, 03:31 AM
Enthusiast

So its like 6:30am here and I can't sleep anymore b/c I'm going to pick up my new Prius. Its white with the tan interior and #9. Ha ha, I'm sitting here like a kid on Christmas

So I didn't exactly bypass any waiting list by working withthe CFCU. Evidently no one on the witing list at Jerry's Toyota in Baltimore had put in for a White #9. So I guess if anyone wants the same car call them pronto b/c you could have one in the next allocation for July.

Old 05-29-2004, 03:42 AM
Contributor ($)

capezio11,
Welcome to GreenHybrid! You mentioned in your post:
Finding a car through them is this simple: call and tell them what you want. They call dealers in the area and find it.
But didn't you miss the thrill of the hunt? Hours spent scouring the interent...bidding on ebay... or driving from dealer to dealer
Seriously though, it sounds like a great way to buy a new car.

As far test driving one, you should still be able to stop by any dealer for a test drive. Better yet, you could always stop by a local hybrid group's "gathering" and get some in-person feedback.

After your wife tries it out, she will have to let us know her opinion of the height adjustment.

I hope your confirmation call comes soon!

Old 05-29-2004, 03:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good morning capezio11,

Good luck on the big day! I have to say I'm a bit envious...

Johan

Old 06-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast

Hey, I have a CFCU account to, and never considered using them at all for Prius getting. I did the same thing, with putting five dollars in, figuring that I might as well get an account there during my stint as an employee.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands