Prius's radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Prius's radio

My toyota Prius was imported From japan so our radios transmiter only recieves one radio channel i was wondering how i could fix this?

Old 06-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: Prius's radio

I'm not sure what you mean. All Prius are manufactured in Japan. They should be standard with AM and FM radio. Perhaps they run at different frequencies in New Zealand? Could you describe your problem in more detail?

Old 06-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Prius's radio

THis is off the wall, but I know from experience that the AM radio frequencies in Australia (cannot speak for New Zealand) are set at a 9 kHz spread instead of the 10 kHz spread we use here in the states. My old Radio Shack portable shortwave radio had a button you could set to change the kHz spread on the AM band.

Maybe the factory presets are set to a spread of 10 rather than 9? But even so, one should be able to manually tune the dial and find what you're looking for. But then I've never seen a Prius' radio, just an HCH one.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:54 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Prius's radio

Or, maybe it could be as simple as the fact that factory radio settings generally are not tuned to frequencies that are used by radio stations in the buyer's area. I have always had to re-set my tuning buttons in any new car I have bought, including Hondas and Toyotas.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Dagron,

I think you had better talk with a Toyota dealer about a radio swap. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard for you to get a NZ/AUS market radio from a dealer in exchange. I recall reading someplace that radio frequencies in your neck of the woods have different spreads between frequencies than in the Japan/U.S. market. As such radios to your area of the world have to be different.

Speaking only to AM radio reception, if you use the tune **** on the Prius radio it will advance the frequency by 10khz every time (speaking from experience with U.S. version). Since the frequency spread in AM you are dealing with is 9khz, that means that few frequencies that your government may issue to broadcasters will coincided with a 10khz spread. I can't recall what the FM spread you folks are using is.

Your best bet is to speak with a Toyota dealer on this one. Sorry we can't be more helpful.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

It's certainly the 9khz analog channel spacing (my NZ Prius has it right) .... but it might be a VERY simple thing to fix .... before you go off and buy a new one check with a dealer (or do it yourself if you dare, probably voids warranty, and probably does no harm) and have them get into the 'secret' panel menu and change the country code to 'Australia' - it's quite possible that that changes the radio channel spacing too