Pruis as a family car? (kids+space?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Pruis as a family car? (kids+space?)

Hi All,

I have been very interested in buying a Prius for quite some time now. Finally test drove one and am ready to buy one. It is either the Prius or the FEH. Test drive that one tomorrow.

The issue for me is 2-fold, I have to start a new job that will require TONS of driving (this would be our only car as we live near NYC and usually take mass-transit). I would drive at a minimum of 80-90 miles a day. So from a fuel economy standpoint, I can't go wrong with the Prius (over the FEH). The other issue is space. Our first child is on the way, and my wife doesn't think we'll have the space (despite the fold down seats.)

After checking out the Prius' cargo room, I'd have to agree we'd never be able to go away on trips comfortably (bags, child seats, packnplay, etc), but as far as just moving around with car seats and strollers, I think it will be fine.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had experience with this here? Any other family people out there truck the kids around or go away for the weekend with a Prius?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 04-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pruis as a family car? (kids+space?)

Originally Posted by drewski
Hi All,

I have been very interested in buying a Prius for quite some time now. Finally test drove one and am ready to buy one. It is either the Prius or the FEH. Test drive that one tomorrow.

The issue for me is 2-fold, I have to start a new job that will require TONS of driving (this would be our only car as we live near NYC and usually take mass-transit). I would drive at a minimum of 80-90 miles a day. So from a fuel economy standpoint, I can't go wrong with the Prius (over the FEH). The other issue is space. Our first child is on the way, and my wife doesn't think we'll have the space (despite the fold down seats.)

After checking out the Prius' cargo room, I'd have to agree we'd never be able to go away on trips comfortably (bags, child seats, packnplay, etc), but as far as just moving around with car seats and strollers, I think it will be fine.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had experience with this here? Any other family people out there truck the kids around or go away for the weekend with a Prius?

Thanks for any advice!
We drive to the beach 4-5 times a year with two kids and a medium sized dog in the Prius. We are comfortable, but we also pack light. We learned to do that with the Prius and it works out well for us. It is amazing to me how much stuff people bring with them on trips in the event that they might need it. We have never needed anything that we left behind.

It seems that the decision should be based on what you need it for most of the time. For your commute, the Prius will do great. If you can't live without more space, buy the Prius and rent a minivan for trips. You will save money on fuel in the long run.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I have an HCH, which, though a bit smaller, is relatively similar in size. I also have an FEH. We cannot, as a family of four, do anything more than an overnight trip in the HCH. Even in the FEH, we strain the limits of the cargo space. I have purchased a roof top carrier (have even been able to get 32.5mpg with it on), and just take off the entire roof rack when it is not in use.

I don't have a dog, but two eight year olds.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

A Prius does not have enough space for two adults, a child, and some stuff? That's just silly. If you're packing so much "stuff" that you can't fit it all into a Prius (or any car bigger than a mini, for that matter), the problem is not the car.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Emma
A Prius does not have enough space for two adults, a child, and some stuff? That's just silly. If you're packing so much "stuff" that you can't fit it all into a Prius (or any car bigger than a mini, for that matter), the problem is not the car.
I think part of the problem is that today's car seat/stroller combinations that allow the infant car seat to transfer from a base in the car to the stroller take up A LOT of room. The stroller folds but doesn't compact much. My daughter is expecting and says that the stroller won't fit in the trunk of her Hyundai Elantra. I think that the best advice would be to test the fit before purchasing if possible. Babies need a lot more "stuff" than older kids and adults so I think drewski has a valid concern. On the other hand, other than for vacations, will the child be transported much in the new vehicle? If not, I'd say get the Prius and consider renting a larger vehicle for the vacations.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast

I just find it odd....my parents managed two adults and two kids in a regular ol' sedan and I have friends who currently do the same. Who manufactures these behemoth strollers that necessitate an SUV or van to cart them around in....GM?

Old 04-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

We have a 9-year-old, and never found it necessary to have all the "gear" that most people accumulate for new babies. We got by (not out of financial necessity, but because we just never had a need for more) with an umbrella stroller (which hardly ever got used), and a baby sling. Most of the time my son rode in the baby sling (we actually wore out two of them), from birth until he was over 2 (IIRC). YMMV.

Anyway, we have a FEH and a Prius, and are now struggling with the debate over which to take on certain upcoming trips. I think the Prius will be fine for a trip to the inlaws' in Maryland (about 300 miles away), but we will definitely want the FEH for our summer camping excursion (complete with rooftop "pod" carrier, loaded with tent, sleeping bags, tarps, etc.). We did manage our weekly grocery shopping in the Prius, even when my son (temporarily, thank goodness) was using a pediatric-sized wheelchair that folded up. We put the chair in the back (with all seats NOT folded down), and piled the groceries around it. So, maybe a stroller would be about the same size as the wheelchair? What else would you need, a diaper bag in addition to your usual luggage? Unless you're going for more than a week, or going camping, I don't see that you'd need more space. Also, you could put a pod on the Prius (I guess you can get a roof rack or there's some other way of mounting it); one member here actually towed a trailer for a good distance with his/her Prius.

If you put that many miles on your car, I'd go for the Prius. There is enough space that you will be able to get by, and by the time they're 3 or so you really don't need all that much stuff anyway. Unless you are thinking of having more kids right away...

Old 04-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My 2005 Prius comfortably fits me, my wife, our two kids in car seats, and luggage for a weekend. We can't bring our dog, because her crate takes up too much room. Our gear usually consists of one medium-sized suitcase, two laptop bags, diaper bag, and a bag of toys, a bag of food, and maybe a small cooler. We're able to pack all of this, without obscuring the rear window. A week-long trip would require more stuff, and I'd have to block the rear window, which I hate.

As others have said, packing a smaller car requires you to make more decisions on what you bring. Do you need a stroller, when you have a Baby Bjorn? Do you need all those toys, when there's probably plenty to entertain the kids at the destination? Do you need a pack & play, when your kid could sleep with you? (We keep one at my in-law's beach house, so we don't have to pack it.)

I had a girlfriend, who's mother worked for British Airways. Every year, they'd travel to Australia, for a week. The mother, father, and two daughters would each bring one backpack, with everything they "needed" for the week. They'd decided they'd rather do laundry, on vacation, than bring seven changes of clothing. I try to keep them in mind, whenever I travel.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foo monkey
I had a girlfriend, who's mother worked for British Airways. Every year, they'd travel to Australia, for a week. The mother, father, and two daughters would each bring one backpack, with everything they "needed" for the week. They'd decided they'd rather do laundry, on vacation, than bring seven changes of clothing. I try to keep them in mind, whenever I travel.
Business travel has made me like that. I got sick of dealing with checked luggage so now I usually try to pack the essentials into a relatively large backpack that I can stuff in the overhead bin. It became a habit so now I do the same thing when I travel by car, too. Ridding myself of the extra junk can be liberating, and improves the experience even when I get to where I'm going.

Originally Posted by foo monkey
We can't bring our dog, because her crate takes up too much room.
On the topic of dogs, if it's not too big there are other ways to keep them safe without a crate. My parents' puppy has been traveling with a special harness that clips into a seatbelt receiver. He can sit in any seat, without a crate, and won't go flying in the event of an accident. It's simpler for them and much more comfortable for the dog.

Last edited by brick; 04-07-2006 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Enthusiast

I just want to say thanks to everyone that replied to this thread. Everyone's experience and advice was a great help.

I think once we test drove the Prius (and slapped a friends huge folded up stroller in the trunk), we were pretty much sold. We still have some slight reservations with regards to going away on trips, but I think we'll be able to do it, albeit tightly.

Going to the dealer tomorrow to get the ball rolling...can't wait.

Quick Reply: Pruis as a family car? (kids+space?)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands