Question about battery condition and grahpic display ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Question about battery condition and grahpic display ??

We just bought Toyota Prius 06 2 weeks ago.

Phase 1, first 500 miles, our MPG was 52.8., with mixed city and long distance and highway, we went to Gainsville, FL back to Saint Augustine, and in and out of town.

Phase 2, start from 501 to present 831 miles, we made 53.9 MPG, went to Kissimmee and back to Saint Augustine again.

I am new to Hybrid car, after we bought it, we read Hybrid forum and get more information how hybrid work to get better gas mileage. We found -pulse and glide technique worked for us.

We owned Honda Element 2004 before purchasing the Prius. I learned from using right foot with light touch on gas and on break, we made 29-34 MPG most of the time we owned the Element. The Element is not a Hybrid car, it is just a ligh truck but we tended to be easy driving 40-65 most of the time. I sometime slipped my right foot speed up to 70 -75 when we went to Houston, TX. We got the same results 29 - 34 miles.

Questions about the battery:

Graphic display shows on the screen regarding battery condition.

Is the battery suppose to be 100% full all the time or less (80%) ?

Whoever can tell me about this, please advise.

Last edited by Zippie_Kandie; 10-10-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question about battery condition and grahpic display ??

If the battery condition stays full all the time then that is a good thing. But whenever the vehicle goes into electric only or partial assist, it will use some of that juice. So it won't be 100% full all the time.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:31 PM

Welcome to GreenHybrid!
Originally Posted by Zippie_Kandie
Is the battery suppose to be 100% full all the time or less (80%) ?
No.
The normal target control level is around 60%, 5 or 6 blue bars.
You'll see 7 or 8 green bars on a long downhill where you see a lot of regenerating, but the full 8 bars is still 80% level to protect the battery life.

Enjoy driving...
Ken@Japan

From Wayne's site...

Old 10-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Enthusiast

Thank a million Ken, you know exactly what I want to know.

Yes, the graphic display should have details how to read it properly. I do not see in th manual. We went to the dealer. They don't really know but said that it's okay. I just guess that the battery is still okay.

However, in terms of statistics as you explained, 6 to 7 bar I feel good about it because it tell us that the battery is approximately 70%, by having another bar that closed to 80% is a plus. This make me feel good.

I drove many times it showed 50% which was driving in the city -stop and go-

Old 10-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default ... Honda Insight

Hi Resist...

1). Tell me more about Honda Insight. We are looking for another small car like Insight or Mini. But I prefer something like Hybrid..

How is the MPG ---> Insight.. as you own one.. Resist..

2) Thank for your reply about the battery. The distance from my house to work is only 2 miles RT = 4 miles.
Should I drive on highway to recharge battery ?

Old 10-11-2006, 10:02 PM

Well I just sold my CVT Insight after 5 years of having it. It was a great little car but I needed something larger and the Prius works out better. The Prius should get the about the same gas mileage too. I actually prefer the Prius over the Insight in that I can drive in electric only mode, something the Insight doesn't do. Plus I like the fact that the Prius has bigger non LRR tires.

You can drive anywhere you will be using your brakes, as that is how regenerative braking will recharge your battery pack. Sure the engine may charge it up from time to time but most of it will come from braking or letting off on the throttle.