Questions about an '02 Prius

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Questions about an '02 Prius

Hello Fellow hybriders,

I have an Accord Hybrid and now considering adding an 02 Prius.

Hope you dont mind me asking a couple questions about the early Prius...

1) Does the A/C operate when at a stop light? Does it operate in EV mode?

2) Are there any issues or strong/weak points of the '02 model year?

3) I know what the EPA mpg rating is, BUT what are you hypermilers able to squeeze out of it on a regular basis?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Old 10-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Questions about an '02 Prius

One more question!

Does the '02 Prius have a timing belt that needs servicing/replacement at a specified mileage?

Thanks
Tony

Old 10-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Questions about an '02 Prius

Originally Posted by TonyK
. . . considering adding an 02 Prius.

Hope you dont mind me asking a couple questions about the early Prius...

1) Does the A/C operate when at a stop light? Does it operate in EV mode?

2) Are there any issues or strong/weak points of the '02 model year?

3) I know what the EPA mpg rating is, BUT what are you hypermilers able to squeeze out of it on a regular basis?
1) Yes if in AC MAX, maybe if in AC normal. The car will attempt to maintain the internal set temperature and will only run the ICE and compressor when it detects a temperature variance. When I'm at a 'long stop,' I've sometimes set the internal temperature up 5-10 degress to avoid running the compressor.

2) There were a number of technical service bulletins issued for the 01, 02 and a fewer number for the 03 Prius. The biggie is getting the battery terminals sealed.

The only other problem has been the transaxle oil. Toyota says to replace it at 60K but measurments of used oil suggests a much shorter interval. Also, some of us have or are planning to switch to the newer, Type WS oil, which seems to improve MPG 6-10% (depending upon driver/owner.)

3) The EPA rating is in the database but it is 52/45 (city/highway). My combined mileage has come in at 51.9 MPG but I've only had my car for a year and haven't changed the transaxle oil, yet.

4) There is a timing belt but I have no idea of the service interval. In fact, I haven't heard much buzz about replacements.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 10-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
4) There is a timing belt but I have no idea of the service interval. In fact, I haven't heard much buzz about replacements.
My NHW-20 Technical manual says the 1NZ-FXE engine has a maintenace-free timing chain.
I believe NHW-11 also equipped with the engine.

Ken@Japan

Old 10-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes indeed the valves are chain-driven. Far in the uncertain future the chain might stretch, but wear on the chain tensioner might happen earlier and announce itself with a characteristic noise (of some sort). The major distinction from a belt-drive is that there is no unannounced total system failure.

2002 Prius (in the US) was the first time side air bags were available as an option. There are other issues which primarily affect 2001 and not 2002 (engine control module {computer}, electrical power steering, even the lowly accelerator pedal). In constrast, I know of no 'fixes' that Toyota did in 2003, revising the 2002 model.

DAS

Old 10-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Engineering first

Thanks Doug, Yoshi-san,
Originally Posted by Tochatihu
Yes indeed the valves are chain-driven. Far in the uncertain future the chain might stretch, but wear on the chain tensioner might happen earlier and announce itself with a characteristic noise (of some sort). The major distinction from a belt-drive is that there is no unannounced total system failure. . . .
Also, our Prius never spins the engines faster than 4,500 rpm and 5,000 rpm. Computer controlled, they avoid the stresses and strains of ordinary gas vehicles. In fact, they are 'loafing' compared to the gas only 1500 cc engines, 108 hp in a gas only car versus ~70 hp in the hybrid.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-25-2006, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, I went and took another look at it and another test drive and decided to get it. The only holdup is waiting for the title to arrive for the current owner.

Even without knowing about all the tips and tricks for max mpg, the owner, was getting 50+ mpg on the entire tank most all the time. Watch me get less !

It is real clean and has the bonus of the remains of an extended warranty which expires in 7/09 so I should be set for a while.

Now to catch up on all the Prius stuff I can before my second hybrid baby arrives. I am hoping I will be able to wean myself from my S-10 which is such a handy vehicle. I find I am always hauling stuff from the garden centers like plants or mulch etc etc. I think once you have a truck, you will always need a truck..... I am not sure I want to keep 3 vehicles around here though.

Anyway, thanks for the info, it helped make the decision to buy it.

Tony

Old 10-25-2006, 06:57 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Questions about an '02 Prius

. . . I am hoping I will be able to wean myself from my S-10 which is such a handy vehicle. I find I am always hauling stuff from the garden centers like plants or mulch etc etc. I think once you have a truck, you will always need a truck..... I am not sure I want to keep 3 vehicles around here though. . . .
I have a receiver hitch and Harbor Freight, foldable trailer rated at 1,500 lbs. Although the Prius has no 'tow rating', knowing how the transaxle works and everything else, I believe it is safe for light weight loads between home and local hardware stores. I wouldn't recommend it for cross-country, moving the house towing. <grins>

Some of my experiments:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_RevC.html

Bob Wilson

Old 10-25-2006, 07:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Cool pics Bob, thanks.

Where did you get the hitch from? That would be perfect for carrying bikes if this Prius had a receiver hitch setup.

Do you happen to have any pics of the hitch?

I go to Harbor Freight alot and always do check out the trailers.... there might be one in my future!

Tony

Old 10-25-2006, 07:21 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Questions about an '02 Prius

. . .
Where did you get the hitch from? That would be perfect for carrying bikes if this Prius had a receiver hitch setup.

Do you happen to have any pics of the hitch? . . .
Not my installation but it looks like the ones from Coastal Electronics:

http://www.coastaletech.com/hitch.htm

Some caveates:

1) interference fit - I had to use my hydrolic lift to 'hold' the hitch against the bottom of the spare tire well for the bolts to go in. I used "blue" lock-tight on the bolts.

2) wiring harness - there are two 'drain' grommets in the spare tire well. I cut a slit for the wiring harness and used GE Silicon adheasive to seal the hole and 'tack' the wires along the side of the wheel well to tap into the brake, running and turn signals.

3) safety chain - for now, I run the chain over the cross hitch and use a clip-secured hook to hold them on. Check the distances

4) assembly of trailer - two tubes of "blue" locktight.

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Questions about an '02 Prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands