Record Tank On My '07

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:30 PM
MPG nut
Default Record Tank On My '07

I just set a new PR for distance and mpg in my '07. Here is a pic and I should note that I was still under power. Also, the hand calculation came out to 92.177 mpg.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Record Tank On My '07

Excellent!

Bob Wilson

Old 08-09-2008, 04:44 PM
MPG nut

I will be the first to admit that this wouldn't be possible everywhere. I live in Elkhart, IN in the county and I try to do most of my driving on country roads(where people are used to slow moving farm machinery) and at off-peak times.
Edit: I started this tank on 7/6/08

Last edited by diamondlarry; 08-09-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Engineering first

Granted the warm temperatures help but it takes discipline to get that kind of mileage for that distance. The low speeds would drive most folks over the bend.

What sort of preparations did you do the vehicle? In particular, are you using a radiator block? I assume you're using the block heater year round like our Japanese friends.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-09-2008, 05:30 PM
MPG nut

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Granted the warm temperatures help but it takes discipline to get that kind of mileage for that distance. The low speeds would drive most folks over the bend.

What sort of preparations did you do the vehicle? In particular, are you using a radiator block? I assume you're using the block heater year round like our Japanese friends.

Bob Wilson
Yes to both questions. I have the grill blocked with the foam pipe insulation. In the winter, I can block all of the openings including putting a piece in the hood opening. In the summer though, I have to open up the bottom 2 slots. Even on a highway trip from Elkhart to Cincinnati, OH and back on 7/5/08 the coolant temp never exceeded 190F. It usually stayed under that level.

I use the block heater everyday. I have it on a timer so it runs ~3 hours before I leave for work. I usually have at least 50mpg on my first 5 minute bar. In fact, in the warmer temps of summer, 60+ is quite common. I just have to see if I can get my boss to let me plug in at work.

As for going over the bend from the low speeds, my friends and family would probably say that I'm already over.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:03 PM
MPG nut

I have an update on my record tank. On 09/06/08 I refueled with 8.58 gallons after travelling 867.4 miles for 101.1 mpg. This was hand calculated.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:45 PM
The Regenerator

I can summarize this thread with four letters: I N V U. . .

Well done.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:48 PM
The Regenerator

I suppose we should pick on you for something: there's a lot of dust on that screen. Clean it out of your car, and it might take fewer nanoergs of energy to move the car from pt A to pt B.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:36 PM
MPG nut

Originally Posted by ekpolk
I suppose we should pick on you for something: there's a lot of dust on that screen. Clean it out of your car, and it might take fewer nanoergs of energy to move the car from pt A to pt B.
I get that a lot.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Engineering first

I grew up in Oklahoma and it wasn't until I lived on the East coast that I learned dusting actually works. In Oklahoma, you can wipe a surface down at dawn and by sunset, the dust is back. It comes with living in an agricultural area.

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Record Tank On My '07

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands