Repair nightmare - I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Repair nightmare - I need advice

One week ago, my 2002 Prius (with 38,000 miles) had a problem. I turned the key, the car started, a warning light came on the dashboard and the display showed the code "PS". The car shut itself off and would not start at all when I turned the key again. The owner's manual says that the "PS" code indicates a problem with the power steering.

I had the car towed to my regular mechanic, and he told me that it needed to go to a Toyota dealer. He recommended Star Toyota in Bayside (Queens, NY), and I had the car towed there.

Star Toyota told me there are three things wrong with the car: 1) the computer needs to be replaced, 2) the gas tank/fuel pump needs to be replaced, and 3) there is a "cut wire" in the harness. The computer is $1000 which Toyota will pay for. The gas tank is $600 which I will pay for. A new harness costs $2000. The dealer says he will try to get Toyota to pay for it even though the car is out of warranty.

The dealer says that, although he doesn't recommend it, it is possible to just replace the cut wire. That would be much less expensive.

I get the feeling that I, and Toyota, are being ripped off by the dealer. Can anyone advise me about the harness? Is it OK to replace the cut wire? Should I have the car towed to another dealer?

Old 10-20-2005, 06:18 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Repair nightmare - I need advice

Chances are, its probably like any simple car repair.

Harness: $45
Labor: $1955

Old 10-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you went to the doctor and he told you you had a "Brain Cloud" wouldnt you get a second opinion? The fact that this dealer was "Recommended" leads me to believe that there are "kickbacks" involved. Is this your normal dealer? why didnt you take it to them? they say the car is out of warranty and yet they are going to replace the computer????? but then they are not going to replace a wiring harness??????? HMMM sounds pretty fishy to me. The code says power steering and yet you have to replace the fuel tank. My opinion is get a second opinion. Good luck and let us know what happens. Dean

Old 10-20-2005, 07:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Sounds like it's time for a second opinion.

If the tank is in need of replacement, I would ask for an explanation.
The trouble you indicated had nothing to do with the fuel system. Did the car show any signs of a fuel tank problem?

Maybe the service department is attempting to make a little money on the side, after the computer replacement that will be covered by Toyota.

Regards,

Old 10-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast

Il fly down there with my soldering iron and a roll of electricians tape.. I'll take care of the harness for you for $1500. Heck.. that's a $500 savings!

I guess they dont have any tools like that at the dealer :p

Old 10-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

David,

Very sorry to hear about the problems. First, make sure the dealer is not charging you a day rate to keep the car. Then ask for all the diagnostic records and mechanic's assessments, and then them off to the district office, along with your written letter asking them to review the problems and to recommend how to proceed.

All the best of luck, and I hope you post back how things are going.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Enthusiast

Usually when you see a code like this, the "clear undercoating" needs to be replaced and the radiator fluid is low which, of course, means that you have to replace the battery pack as well. My suggestion is that you replace all of this along with the PSD. This should solve the problem.

All kidding aside. Get the second opinion about the power steering problem. I can't see how the gas tank is related to this problem but I can see how the cut wire might be. Let us know what you find out.

Old 10-20-2005, 01:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Unless there's signs of wear on the rest of the wires then it should be fine to replace the single wire and not replace the whole harness. Get full explanations from them about the diagnosis and of course a second opinion if you can.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Enthusiast

I would repair the cut wire myself and then see if all the other problems go away. The gas tank's role in all this is indeed a real mystery.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:02 AM
Oil Commodities Junkie

Definitely hav them fix the wiring problem first. Also, ask what systems the wire is used to connect. Could be the wire runs from the fuel tank to.........the computer.

Quick Reply: Repair nightmare - I need advice

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands