replacing fob battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default replacing fob battery

Did a search and couldn't find this topic. After close to 4.5 years, the battery in my smart start fob has died. I'm having a hard time getting the back off so I can replace the battery. I did it once, back in November 03 and recall having a very hard time. I looked on the owners manual and still having a hard time getting the back off.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: replacing fob battery

Is it the same as the fob for the TCH? With that one, you remove the mechanical key, and it exposes a slot in the fob that you put the end of the key in and twist.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast

I have an 05 Prius. I just took my key apart. I removed the door key and set it aside. Then I had to hold the key lock slider all the way back, while sliding the front half upward. That reveals a cover with several screws that must be removed.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

First step, remove aux key that is "locked" in place by the sliding latch on the rear of the Prius electronic key. Slide the latch away from the physical key and pull the physical key away from the electronic key.

With the physical key out of the way, use the same latch to unlock the exterior bottom panel of the electronic key to gain access to the inside of the key. This will require a little dexterity. Place the key in your left hand, face down, with the front of the key toward your wrist and teh back of the key with the latch on it pointing toward the fingers of your left hand. Placing your thumb on the Toyota logo, use your right hand to pull the pull and hold the latch open. Then using your left thumb, that is already placed on teh Toyota logo, push the cover off the key.

The latch that holds the physical key in the electronic key, is also the latch that holds the back cover on the key.

Assuming this operation was successful you will have three pieces on your table. A physical key, the electronic key and the back cover of the electronic key.

You are not done yet. Using a jeweler's Phillips screwdriver you will need to remove the 4 screws that hold in the panel that secures the battery. Do not open up this panel until you have a replacement batter to install in the key, it is very easy to loose those four small screws and the battery compartment lid hos the battery type inscribed in it so you don't have to open the compartment to find out what battery to put in the compartment.

Once you have removed the screws and the panel you should just be able to pop in and out the new and old batteries. As with all button style batteries, touch the batteries as little as possible and you are touching their conductive surfaces when you are handling them.

then place the battery cover back on the battery and install all the screws. Screws should be tight and flush, but not too tight. The slide the cover back on, using the latch to re-lock it to the key, and do the same with the physical key. You should be good to go.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast

Very helpful -- however, in order to have the replacement batter "on-deck", what is the battery type, model, etc.?

Old 08-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Engineering first

Anyone have a digital camera to post photos?

I have the earlier model, NHW11 keyfob and after the back is pried open, the battery just slides out of the battery holder. I've got some out of focus photos but will do another set later tonight.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast
Red face Re: replacing fob battery

Originally Posted by JeromeP
First step, remove aux key that is "locked" in place by the sliding latch on the rear of the Prius electronic key. Slide the latch away from the physical key and pull the physical key away from the electronic key.

With the physical key out of the way, use the same latch to unlock the exterior bottom panel of the electronic key to gain access to the inside of the key. This will require a little dexterity. Place the key in your left hand, face down, with the front of the key toward your wrist and teh back of the key with the latch on it pointing toward the fingers of your left hand. Placing your thumb on the Toyota logo, use your right hand to pull the pull and hold the latch open. Then using your left thumb, that is already placed on teh Toyota logo, push the cover off the key.

The latch that holds the physical key in the electronic key, is also the latch that holds the back cover on the key.

Assuming this operation was successful you will have three pieces on your table. A physical key, the electronic key and the back cover of the electronic key.

You are not done yet. Using a jeweler's Phillips screwdriver you will need to remove the 4 screws that hold in the panel that secures the battery. Do not open up this panel until you have a replacement batter to install in the key, it is very easy to loose those four small screws and the battery compartment lid hos the battery type inscribed in it so you don't have to open the compartment to find out what battery to put in the compartment.

Once you have removed the screws and the panel you should just be able to pop in and out the new and old batteries. As with all button style batteries, touch the batteries as little as possible and you are touching their conductive surfaces when you are handling them.

then place the battery cover back on the battery and install all the screws. Screws should be tight and flush, but not too tight. The slide the cover back on, using the latch to re-lock it to the key, and do the same with the physical key. You should be good to go.
+++++++

I first tried prying and then looked here and this is the correct way to open a 2005 Prius FOB, can't say how many ways there is to open various different manufactures products but if you have a 2005 you found the correct method. Before you open I found that ours uses a CR2032 so you might want to purchase two before you go to the trouble of opening it.