Reprogramming the MAP Button?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Reprogramming the MAP Button?

I have a P2 with the "HK" Package - ie no Nav. However, the kind folks at Toyota put a "Map" button on my steering wheel anyway. While it is fun to look at, I wonder, is there any way to re-program it to another purpose? For that matter, I'd love to reprogram the AC buttons too for manual control instead of temp targetting.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Reprogramming the MAP Button?

Nice, Eric! No idea if you can do that, but it'll be interesting to hear what the experts say. As for the A/C buttons, instead of thinking of them as temp targeting, put the A/C on auto and use them to control the A/C. Instead of clicking the UP button to turn up the fan, press the DOWN button to do so; it lowers the target temp and correspondingly raises the fan speed. Works for me...

Old 07-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uwaku
As for the A/C buttons, instead of thinking of them as temp targeting, put the A/C on auto and use them to control the A/C. Instead of clicking the UP button to turn up the fan, press the DOWN button to do so; it lowers the target temp and correspondingly raises the fan speed. Works for me...
Ha! This is, of course, what a normal sane person would do. I am, of course, an old school AC ****. I've read in other posts that I don't need to be in this car, but I just cannot change my ways. I like to put the "Temp" on Lo, the Fan on 2 and click the AC on only when I need it. Of course if I do that and hit the button on the steering wheel the fan kicks up to max and I scramble to shut it down. Even typing that I see how rediculous it is. I think it might be time to enter the 21st century of climate controlled autos.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eric Freeman
Ha! This is, of course, what a normal sane person would do. I am, of course, an old school AC ****. I've read in other posts that I don't need to be in this car, but I just cannot change my ways. I like to put the "Temp" on Lo, the Fan on 2 and click the AC on only when I need it. Of course if I do that and hit the button on the steering wheel the fan kicks up to max and I scramble to shut it down. Even typing that I see how rediculous it is. I think it might be time to enter the 21st century of climate controlled autos.
Oh my God! You might be my Doppleganger. I do the exact same scenario every day. It is insanity. The worst is when I set the AC on but put the temp at 80 degrees to keep the AC on low and then I turn the car off. If I get in the next morning and start driving to work when it is 60 out, it invariably takes me ten minutes to figure out the vents are heating the cabin up to that balmy 80 just because I set it that way the night before when it was 100 out.