Road trip coming up HSV to Oklahoma

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Road trip coming up HSV to Oklahoma

Hi folks,

It looks like I'll be taking a road trip from Huntsville AL to Coffeyville KS and Stillwater OK in the next week or so. I'll be passing through Memphis, Little Rock and Ft. Smith and on the way out, probably making some serious time. But on the way back, there will be plenty of time to stop by, visit and share a chicken-fried steak dinner (or recommendations to one.)

If you might be interesting in meeting, send me an e-mail with particulars. Since I'll be on the road, it probably work best if you can share a phone number I can call from my cell.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson
03 Prius
http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/

Old 05-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Road trip coming up HSV to Oklahoma

I'm in Stillwater, OK-- why ever would you come to such an abysmal town?

Old 05-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Engineering first
Cool Re: Road trip coming up HSV to Oklahoma

Originally Posted by AlaricD
I'm in Stillwater, OK-- why ever would you come to such an abysmal town?
Mom and Dad are from the Stillwater suburbs, Morris and Ripley. I was born in Stillwater and most of the relatives still live in or about town. Duck street is named after a maternal great grandfather who donated land for OSU. Family business calls.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-26-2006, 03:20 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Stillwater!!Spent two days there Winter 1973!

Wow, I didn't think anyone actually went to Stillwater by choice. I spent two days there in Jan 1973.We flew into OKC and drove across some barren grapes of wrath prarie for a good 2.5 hours.Scrubby Stillwater sprouted out of nowhere. Checked a map-it is just 65 miles from OKC, but this was pre interstate, so it took a lot longer. It was kinda cold and windy.
We spent about 24 minutes working in Gallagher Hall and we went home. I actually have fond memories of that trip. We could buy Coors beer there(couldn't get it in Baton Rouge) so I hauled 8 quarts home planning to sell it. College kids back then thought Coors was "cooler" than other beers.
Stillwater hasn't crossed my mind since then.Thanks,Charlie

Old 05-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

Morrison and Ripley are still miles away from Stillwater-- but Perkins is now the "bedroom community" to Stillwater-- it's the closest of the three, and Highway 177 goes straight down with to Perkins but for a little jog over on 33 to get to their main street.

I was born here, moved away as an infant but moved back from 73-75 (still an infant), and was out of Oklahoma until '84. Went to Glencoe High School, also not too far from Stillwater. And I'm back here, now...

It's not too bad a place-- but my mother hates it and never understood why my father liked it.

Funny about the beer-- I was in Lafayette, LA in '97 and brought back a bunch of Breaux Bridge beer-- to me that seemed much cooler than the Rolling Rock and Old Milwookiee and Anakin Lager that seem so prevalent in todays homogenized Wal-Mart world. On the other hand, you KNOW you're in the sticks in Oklahoma when the beer cans on the side of the road are the gold Coors cans rather than the silver Coors Light cans...

Not only was it cooler-- it tasted better. I'll have to go down and get some more, if I ever get a Hybrid or gas goes back down below $1.85/gallon....

Old 05-26-2006, 10:07 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

AlaricD, yeah, the Breaux Bridge Beer is pretty decent. We-La- have several smallish brewerys now. In NO we used to have 4-5 local brewerys-Dixie,Jacks,Regal, .When I was in college I would usually buy Jacks because it was the cheapest-about 60 cents a quart at a 7/11 type market.If I was feeling a bit more cosmopolitan, I would drink Boones farm apple wine-89 cents a fifth(I can still taste the chemical aftertaste of that stuff!!)
OK looked like a tough place to live-cold and windy without a lot of rain, but with plenty of tornados! Luck,Charlie
PS Stillwater much have changed a lot-it sure as heck didn't look like it would have any bedroom communities back in 1973.Of course, there wasn't much interstate back then.