Screen Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Screen Question

To start, I am a brand new Prius 2008 owner who really is enjoying his car! I've had it almost three weeks and have put one tank of gas in it. The first tank averaged less than 39 mpg. The second tank, thus far, is averaging 46+ which has given me what I can best describe as a Prius high! I also have found that I have to be careful who I share this with because Prius highs have a way of attracting "Annoying Looks."

That said, where can I find information about the screen and its arrows and the differences in colors. I think I did best with the second tank when I learned how to watch the screen and glide, et. al. (still getting the hang of it, still not sure I can explain it to anyone) and can understand when the engine kicks in. However, there are times when the arrows change colors altogether (not with the engine kicking in) that I couldn't explain. Is there a link that explains this better?

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Screen Question

Hi!

Read the Prius FAQ at the top of this page. It explains everything! Also the owners manual does explain a little about what the screens mean.

I find it helpful to read the FAQ and then apply some tactics and then come back, read the FAQ again and learn more.

Isn't it a great car?!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Welcome to the PRIUS world!
A good place to visit is john1701a's site...
http://john1701a.com/
Information about the screen and its arrows and the differences in colors...
http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-infosheet.htm
Also, his "Prius User-Guide" is worth to read...
http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-userguide.htm

Ken@Japan

Old 01-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 1st and only Hybrid is a 08 FEH AWD, purchased Oct 21, 2007. Love the car, but still long for a Prius. If my wife hadn't driven our old 1996 Ford Explorer for so many years and got use to the SUV size/design, we would be driving a Prius or Camry Hybrid today.

If $$$ and garage space were no problem, I'd have a Prius and a Ford Escape Hybrid BOTH in the barn As good, comfortable, and safe as the FEH is, I envy the FE of the Prius

Old 02-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks! I'll check out those links. This is when I wish I was more engineer-minded!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Screen Question

Originally Posted by KenE
My 1st and only Hybrid is a 08 FEH AWD, purchased Oct 21, 2007. Love the car, but still long for a Prius. If my wife hadn't driven our old 1996 Ford Explorer for so many years and got use to the SUV size/design, we would be driving a Prius or Camry Hybrid today.

If $$$ and garage space were no problem, I'd have a Prius and a Ford Escape Hybrid BOTH in the barn As good, comfortable, and safe as the FEH is, I envy the FE of the Prius
Hi Ken!

Welcome to the hybrid world!

LOL-my son is Pravus Prime, who wrote the FAQ on the FEH. I DIDN'T get a FEH because I don't like SUVs. I would have liked to buy a domestic car but there was nothing that matched the FE of the Prius. (And I could have used my dad's Ford discount)

Donna/Prius Prime

Old 02-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Prius Prime
Hi Ken!

Welcome to the hybrid world!

LOL-my son is Pravus Prime, who wrote the FAQ on the FEH. I DIDN'T get a FEH because I don't like SUVs. I would have liked to buy a domestic car but there was nothing that matched the FE of the Prius. (And I could have used my dad's Ford discount)

Donna/Prius Prime
Donna, I certainly have read your son’s FEH FAQ on this site, and communicated with him via various posts. You sound like a proud parent, as well you should.

I also didn’t mention that the night we bought the 08 FEH, we were headed to the Toyota dealer to look closely at the Camry hybrid. But the local Ford dealer had the FEH advertised in the paper, it was on the way, so we decided to stop there on the way to the Toyota dealer and let the Ford salesman give us the song and dance about the car being sold earlier in the day. I would have bet my paycheck that it would have been sold. I was wrong, it was there. My wife loved the FEH, so we never made it to the Toyota dealer. And to be honest, it is a well manufactured vehicle, and I’m pleased.

A friend of mine has a 2002 Prius that he babied from day one. It was his Prius and subsequently his new Toyota Camry hybrid that peaked my interest in hybrid technology.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Ken

Glad to hear Rich has helped you out.

LOL--he is still trying to make me a good hypermiler! It's so funny to have our roles reversed and he's teaching me how to drive! "You're accelerating/braking too hard, cruising at the wrong speed, go on the other road, it's more downhill!"

The FEH is a great vehicle--and from what I've heard, you are lucky to get one without having to wait!

He did drive my Prius and got over 80 mpg!

Donna