Seattle Miniscanner wanted to borrow.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

As many of you know, there is an effort underway to create a Miniscanner for the new generation Prius (see http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Prius_...canner_MarkIII). As part of that effort I am writing a Functional Specification document that details how the new Miniscanner will perform. Although I have a copy of the user manual, I would like to get my hands on a real Mark II Miniscanner (with Prius attached) for a couple hours and take some notes on how it operates.

If you own a Miniscanner, live near Seattle, and would like to help out, please send me an email. This weekend would be great since my wife and kids are out of town and I am somewhat flexible on time.

TIA,
Ken Whipple
Snohomish, WA

Old 06-03-2004, 09:56 PM
Site Founder

How about you enlighten me. What's a Miniscanner?

Old 06-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Enthusiast

Good point.

Well, I'll start at the beginning. A scanner is a tool that plugs into the connector under your dashboard. It can be used to get information from the computers such as emissions codes (reqd by govt), DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes), as well as other information.

Graham Davies created what he called a "Miniscanner" for the '01 to '03 Prius. It plugs in to that connector and can even sit on your dashboard while you drive. You can select different things to be displayed, such as engine (ICE) RPM, Motor/Generator Torque, etc.

Several people have found it very valuable for helping them increase MPG, learning about the car, etc.

Unfortunately, Graham's Miniscanner won't work with the new gen cars. And Graham isn't getting a new car soon. So he has been assisting us in creating one for the '04s. But I haven't ever seen an older Miniscanner, and would like to try one out while documenting how the new one should work.

- Ken

Old 06-04-2004, 01:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi PriusPostus:

___You might want to PM Rick Reese as he is using a Graham scanner in his Prius I. He too has mentioned it does not work in his new Prius II but he sure wished it did as it would help immensely to improve ones fuel economy capabilities in a Prius II.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-14-2004, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast