Service Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Service Maintenance

I have 104K miles on my 2007 Prius. I was wondering if anyone has had any major pre-emptive service. So far, all I've had to do is the oil and fluid changes at the recommended intervals.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Service Maintenance

Originally Posted by Amsterman
I have 104K miles on my 2007 Prius. I was wondering if anyone has had any major pre-emptive service. So far, all I've had to do is the oil and fluid changes at the recommended intervals.
  1. Did you ever change the ATF (Tranny Fluid)? Toyota says it only needs changing in "Harsh Use". Lab testing has shown that it should be changed every 60,000 miles. It should cost about $100 at a dealer.
  2. At 100k miles you need:
    1. Plugs
    2. Coolant (Two independent loops - Engine and Inverter)
    3. PCV (Positive Crankcase Valve)
    4. Some have suggested preemptive replacement of the Inverter coolant water pump (I waited till 150k and additionally did the engine water pump, serpentine belt and thermostat. It added up to almost $1000)
  3. At some point you will need struts (shock absorbers) but YMMV.
JeffD

Old 01-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Service Maintenance

Thanks for the reply. I haven't changed the ATF... I drive 90 miles to and from work. It's Hwy and I use CC all the way @ 55 mph. When I'm in the city, I pulse and glide. Overall, I avg 54 - 55 mpg between my oil chg's. I don't think I'm hard on the tranny, but I will be changing the ATF... thanks, I'm overdue. At my last oil change the tech said the belt on the water pump had some wear, but they didn't have a replacement on hand. I'll take your advice and have the first three items and the belt, then have pump done later as I'm very gentle on my car. Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2010, 05:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Mike,

Have you done just the regular oil transmission fluid changes every 5K miles until now then? Should I go for the 60K toyota recommended service for my 2006 Prius then or not? I have 60k + miles on my car.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Enthusiast

I whant add camera to brius 2006 thank you

Old 04-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by wesam
I want add camera to Prius 2006 thank you
An after market camera for your 2006 Prius will need to have it's own display as in 2006 Toyota stopped using a generic analog video interface for the MFD and switched to a digital interface. The AudioVox unit below is a low cost, easily installed possibility.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...source=k232270

JeffD

Old 04-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In addition to the services previously mentioned, I suggest having the brake fluid flushed. Brake fluid slowly absorbs water and eventually will cause rust and corrosion in the lines, calipers, and ABS system.

Changing the serpentine belt by 150K miles despite how good it looks is wise. These new belts are made with EPDM, and do not show wear by cracking and splitting like the older neoprene belts did. EPDM belts wear more like tires, as the ribs wear down the larger rib gap allows the belt to loose it's grip and slip. http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear

Note that the Toyota super long life coolant (pink) is rated for 10 years or 100K miles for the factory fill. But only rated for 5 years or 50K miles after you change it.

Personal observations, I had a 1986 F150 truck for 22 years. I flushed the brake fluid about every 3 years as part of my preventative maintenance. I still had the factory calipers and rear wheel cylinders when I sold it. I also drained and filled the radiator (never used a chemical flush) every 2 years. This is with the old green glycol antifreeze that only had a service life of 2 years. The factory radiator lasted 21 years. The truck never ran hot, even with desert and mountain towing. The radiator failed not due to corrosion, but due to fatigue crack in one of the plastic tanks, causing a slow weeping of fluid. The radiator was an aluminum cross flow with plastic side tanks.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Enthusiast

I now have 116K on the Prius, and am about to change the oil. I plan on changing the serpentine belt, I wanted to during the last oil change but they were out of the belts.
Thanks for the info,
Mike

Old 04-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast

I've had a local shop that has taken care of all of my vehicles change the fluids for me, check the belts, and change the plugs, PCV, and coolant. The Toyota service intervals seem to me to be regular maintenance items that should be checked on an ongoing basis, and not paid for all at once. I have not gone to the dealer for any "recommended" services.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast