She's dead, Jim!

Old 10-09-2006, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation She's dead, Jim!

Got into "Smudge" yesterday morning, started her up, and got the Master Warning triangle, the Check Display warning (meaning "look at the MFD"), and my fuel gauge started flashing, first one bar for 6-7 seconds, then all ten (I'd just filled up). On the MFD, I get the Hybrid System warning icon.

She seemed to work just fine when moving her back & forth a little to see if there was a transaxle problem, but no matter how many restarts, same behavior. Checked all the fuses, etc, no luck. At one point when putting her in D I got an error along the lines of "Place engine in Park; battery will not charge in Neutral" or some such, even though the transmission display indicated I was in D. This error didn't come up every time, though.

Took her around the block and the battery kept draining to one bar, with no ICE kicking in! Finally, she just rolled to a stop. Battery stayed at one bar, ICE wouldn't recharge or drive the car. ABS and Road Condition lights came on, as well, and the Ready light flashed a couple of times, then went out!

I pushed her to the curb and just this morning called Toyota Service (this always happens on a Sunday).

They're coming to take her in, and I'll let everyone know the Diagnosis. Here's a pic (sorry for the night view):

Last edited by uwaku; 10-09-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: She's dead, Jim!

Toyota of Augusta's contract towing just picked her up, and in case no one has ever seen the reason for that circle on the front bumper, here it is. The eyebolt is in the storage compartment with the jack.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: She's dead, Jim!

Ok, the Dx is apparently that the #10 wire coming from the junction box to the ICE's ECU was loose. Because of this, the ICE would not come on, and the battery slowly ran down.

Took them a few hours to run it down, but it seems to be ok now.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: She's dead, Jim!

Originally Posted by uwaku
Ok, the Dx is apparently that the #10 wire coming from the junction box to the ICE's ECU was loose. Because of this, the ICE would not come on, and the battery slowly ran down.

Took them a few hours to run it down, but it seems to be ok now.
Warranty?

BTW, great photos!

Bob Wilson