Shift Lever

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Shift Lever

Anyone know why Toyota designed the shift lever so you have to push it up for reverse and down for forward?

It seems like it would be more natural to move it up for forward and down for reverse.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Default Re: Shift Lever

Originally Posted by Resist
Anyone know why Toyota designed the shift lever so you have to push it up for reverse and down for forward?

It seems like it would be more natural to move it up for forward and down for reverse.
Are there any vehicle which has down for R and up for D from N with automatic?

Ken@Japan

Old 10-07-2006, 05:58 PM

If you count manual transmissioned vehicles then yes. But all I was saying is that it makes more sense if the shifter is moved forward for drive, indicating the direction you would be going. Of course down would actually be reverse. Until I get used to my Prius, my first reaction (without looking) would be to put the lever up for forward.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

This has been discussed several times in this and other forums, mostly with people who drive sticks saying how stupid it is, with automatic drivers saying that it's the way all cars are.
Any behavior can be learned. Drive your Prius for a while, then get in someone else's car. Look for the power button. It just isn't there...

Old 10-07-2006, 07:22 PM

I know but....I'm just saying.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Enthusiast

Resist,

You have two Priuses and have started at least 6 topics about Prius short comings. What's with that???

Regards,
Lou

Old 10-07-2006, 11:58 PM

It's about learning and pointing out its shortcomings. You never know Toyota may actually be listening and improve the vehicle even better than it is. Unlike you I don't blindly accept the way things are.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

The shift levers vary considerably from car to car. I have driven manual transmission cars (floor mounted shift) where reverse has been in every corner (upper left, lower right, lower left and upper right), depending on who designed the transmission/shift linkage. Cars with Automatic transmissions - I have seen the push buttons of the old Chryslers, column shift levers, etc. Most floor mounted automatics, you press the lever forward for reverse, and backwards for Drive, just exactly opposite to the direction of travel.

So with Toyota's nice little lever on the dash, up for reverse follows the same logic as most floor mounted automatic controls. I press the power button, move my hand down to the shift lever - continue down to drive - continue down to the sterring wheel - all a natural continuation of motion. Except of course moving out of my garage, where i have to turn around to look and move the lever up.

Cheers, Doug

Old 10-08-2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas
Toyota's nice little lever on the dash, up for reverse follows the same logic as most floor mounted automatic controls.
Well everyone I show my Prius has commented on how backwards the shift gears are positioned. Since it is not a floor mounted shifter it would have been better for it to be more like a manual shifter with regards to direction of movement wanted. Again I'm just saying.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:26 PM

I saw this on someone's site:

The little gear shifter is a pain to get used to. PARK is a separate button. So what I end up doing after I stop the car, I accidentally shift it into REVERSE (gearshift up - where PARK is on most cars) and then think I'm in PARK. This is a very bad design. I'm guessing, they realized the likelihood of drivers making this mistake so perhaps to remind us the car beeps (Inside only) like a little truck while you're in REVERSE. This is quite annoying when you already know you're in REVERSE. But a welcome reminder not to step out of the car while you've left it in REVERSE thinking you're in PARK. Anyway, I hope Toyota takes a look at this, it annoys the heck out of me.

Last edited by Resist; 10-09-2006 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Shift Lever

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands