Single clunk on accelerating mid car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Enthusiast
Question Single clunk on accelerating mid car?

This is driving me crazy. When starting the car from a stop or near stop, there is a single "clunk". It sounds dull, like a pebbly hitting a piece of plywood, not metallic. It seems to happen after the car has been driven a few miles - when I left the house this morning, didn't hear any clunk though I stopped/started several times. After about 6 miles, I got it to happen. It seems to be coming from the middle underside of the car...sometimes I think I can actually feel the sharp single rap in the back of my seat. Nothing is rolling around under the seat. Once it starts happening, it keeps happening whenever I accelerate. It happens going straight, not turning. Why does it only happen after the car is warmed up a bit? What could it be? This is a 2010 Prius with about 140,000 miles on it ..fairly new tires, I think the right half-axle was replaced a year or so ago, have to go get the records and check.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Single clunk on accelerating mid car?

I had a clunk everytime I hit a bump on the road and it turned out I broke my upper control arm for the front axle and it was hitting the frame. I didn't see it until I Nox Vidmate VLC put it on a lift. (Just didn't think to look at the arms)

Old 06-28-2022, 04:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Single clunk on accelerating mid car?

Motor/Transmission mount in all probability. The bushings in them get worn and ultimately they thump or clank on starting speed increase. In the event that they're truly worn, you'll end up with a vibration at speed. Truth is we are in general speculating. Take it to a seller and pay the determination charge in the event that your shop can't track down it.

Kodi nox

Last edited by haosukd; 06-29-2022 at 01:29 AM.