Smart Entry & Carwashing

Old 01-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Site Founder

Has anyone washed their Prius with a Smart Entry fob in their pocket and while hosing it down? I've noticed the car incessantly unlocks with the double "beep." I assume it's from the watter dripping inside of handle. Anyone know exactly how the sensors work? I can guess it's some sort of motion detector.

Old 01-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast

I have not washed it myself but taking it to the local car wash (really nice hand wash place), they do not know enough about the car and it requires me explain it each & every time.

First you explain how to get into into the wash bay, then as it comes out the other side, someone esle gets in and is totally lost :o on how to pull it up to dry!

Of cource I love talking to people about the PRIUS but only those who are really interested, the car wash kids are baffeled even when I leave the valet directions sticking up on the dash! :unsure:

When they finally pull it up to dry, I go over and pop the hatch (so they can dry it well), and I take the key away so it won't strart if they try to pull it up again (too near a very busy street to trust them).

They are baffeled by the Smart Entry/Start, the shifter, the power button... really everything.

I made-up a sign that goes over my LCD screen that says;

"Please
do NOT clean
screen".

Old 01-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Site Founder

The one time I took my car to be washed by a business, they were extremely interested. One of the guys called a couple fellow workers over to come take a look at my new car They had no problem once I explained how it worked, but I certainly trusted them since they seemed so concerned with it.

Why, exactly, do you not want them cleaning the LCD? I can tell you for a fact that any car washer has cleaned thousands of them. They've been in luxury cars for years.