So many questions: new (to me) 2008 Prius

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default So many questions: new (to me) 2008 Prius

Hello

I'm in the process of switching from my 2007 Civic Hybrid to a 2008 Prius. I should have the 2008 Prius by 31 Jan 2012.

It's white with a grey interior, has 14,016 km's (!) and come with a Toyota 3 year, 60,000 km 'comprehensive protection package'.

First blush questions to get my new Prius set-up like my Civic is/was:
  • I'm looking for a winter tire/plain steel wheel package:
    • The car has 'tire pressure warning system'. If my winter tire/wheels do not have the sensor, any issues other than the glowing warning lamp "Tire pressure"?
    • What tire size, brand, etc is my best bet for fuel economy, price point, winter grip, etc?
  • Is there a web site (like http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/ ) that Toyota has set up to get parts, etc over the internet?
  • What is the measurement of the fully open hatch edge to the ground (i.e. what is the minimum ceiling height required for one to fully open the hatch and not touch the ceiling of the garage, etc)?
  • I installed aftermarket HIDs (off E-bay) in the Civic 4 years ago with little fan-fare and would like to do the same for the '08 Prius (Halogen 60/55 bulbs):
    • Has anyone done that on the Prius?
    • What kit did you use?
    • Or do the daytime running lights use the same bulb (unlike the Civic) and thus preclude the ability to install aftermarket HIDs?
  • I had blue LED's for the footwells in the Civic. Anyone have that in the Prius and if so, what kit did you use?
  • Shop manuals. I have a full set of manuals for the Civic (now obsolete for me) and want the same detail for the Prius. I have seen some CD-ROM stuff on E-Bay that seems to be Toyota labeled. What do folks here use for shop manuals?
  • Sirius Satellite Radio. I am removing the portable unit from the Civic and will install in the Prius:
    • Where is the best place to mount the antenna?
    • Where do people mount the portable unit (see attached photo of current set-up)?
  • I see on the US EPA site that the tested mileage is 4.9L/100km city and 5.2L/100km highway. I learned all the tricks to drive my Civic better than its EPA estimates (I ignore Transport Canada ratings as no actual dyno tests are involved):
    • Is there anyone who has experience with the Civic as well as the Prius and can briefly explain the major (fuel economy centric) driving technique differences between the two?
I welcome any experience and insights that folks can pass on. Looking forward to re-learning how to drive to maximize fuel economy potential.
And I'm really looking forward to the fold down rear seats and hatch-back.

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9935.JPG (76.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_9936.JPG (100.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: So many questions: new (to me) 2008 Prius

What tire size, brand, etc is my best bet for fuel economy, price point, winter grip, etc?
Follow up question: my Prius currently has 195/55R16 all seasons (my new car seems to be called a "Special Edition Premium Package") and I see that an 08 Prius could also have 185/65R15 on it.

Bottom line: could I have 185/65R15 winter tires, fitted to 15" steel wheels successfully installed on my '08 Special Edition Premium Package Prius?

Thanks

Mike

Old 01-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I tried 195/65/r15 on my Prius. The handling felt better with the 185's. Lots prefer 195/ 60/15. The tpm light will be on without sensors. It is not that noticeable.Check out PriusChat.com Very good site! H

Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Check out PriusChat.com Very good site
Done and done!

The handling felt better with the 185's.
So sounds like I'm good to use 185/65R15 winter tires.....

Thanks Harold.

Cheers

Mike

Old 02-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Finally taking a breather getting my new car just right.

First fill up (to the first click of the gas pump as per manufactures recommendations) returned 4.9L/100 kms. I'll wait and do at least three more fill-ups before I consider the fuel economy numbers have sufficient data points.

Mods so far:
  • car came with a Toyota wind deflector on the front that I intend to keep.
  • 0W-20 synthetic oil.
  • grille blocker (upper grille permanent, lower grille removable):
  • Scangauge:
  • Have ordered:
  • Weathertech floor mat set (front/rear/cargo)
  • Shark Fin antenna
  • Winter tires/wheels
  • engine block heater
  • heated seat kits
  • HIDs
  • leather steering wheel cover
  • on-line manual (to supplement hard copy)
  • LED lights for all incandescent bulbs
  • Optima Yellow Top 12V battery, and
  • noise filter for aux input to stereo.
As these projects unfold, I`ll post them.

Cheers

Mike