Squeaking Passenger Is Seat Driving Me Nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Squeaking Passenger Is Seat Driving Me Nuts!

It is official, my Prius squeaking passenger seat is driving me nuts! I thought I fixed it but apparently I didn't.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:13 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Squeaking Passenger Is Seat Driving Me Nuts!

Does it squeak empty or with a payload?

What have you tried?

Can you reproduce it by application of pressure to the seat back: forward-back and side-to-side?

Bob Wilson

Old 02-27-2007, 02:59 PM

It does this when the seat is empty. If I push on the seat sides or top or anywhere it stops until I let go. At first I thought it was the plastic covers on the sides of the seat, now I am not so sure. It may be inside the seat where the cloth cover is tied down.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:17 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Resist
It does this when the seat is empty. If I push on the seat sides or top or anywhere it stops until I let go. At first I thought it was the plastic covers on the sides of the seat, now I am not so sure. It may be inside the seat where the cloth cover is tied down.
Ok, there is a hinge that allows the seat to recline. Also, there are four bolts that hold the seat to the floor. Finally, the seat rails allow it to slide forward and back. What we want to do is see if it can be isolated or better yet, reproduced at will.

If you repeat your pushing and loading on just the seat bottom and it remains, that suggests the hinges. However, it is possible that the seat frame may have a part that is 'busted' and rubbing.

Another possible test is to recline the seat so it 'presses' against the rear bench. This will effectively put a small, forward bending stress on the seat and help isolate the source.

It would really help if you can find some way to replicate the problem while still. This would let you take the car to the shop, make it squeek and say "Fix it." I'm surprised they haven't heard it in a test drive.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-28-2007, 12:40 PM

The problem can't be reproduced while the car is sitting still. It only happens while moving and if the inside of the car is cold. I tend to believe the side plastic part that covers the hinge is the cause, it is as if it is rubbing on another plastic part. It sounds like it may be rubbing from that area but it's hard to tell while I'm driving. All I know is if I push and hold on the seat anywhere when it squeaks it will stop. And start back up once I let go.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast

I'm experiencing the same issue - started last week, a week after i drove if off the Toyota lot. I'll update w/ more info after my appointment w/ the service department. I can completely relate to the "going crazy" feeling.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:28 PM

I also noticed if I push and hold the seat back lever the noise stops. It may be right in that area at the seat hinge, there is a lot of plastic there.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast

So the dealership stated that there were some loose screws in the adjustment mechinism that they saw to tightening. I didn't notice the sound on the way home last night, (it was warm in the vehicle) but I certainly heard it again this morning when leaving for work. (it was cold in the vehicle) I plan on monitoring it for the next couple of days and making another call/complaint next week. I'll add that the residual squeaking is much less annoying --- but c'mon the car is 3 freaking weeks old -- I'd like it to be quiet ;O) so I can continue to be "smug" (southpark humor) about my hybrid.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:00 PM

I don't believe loose screws are the cause, at least not in my case. I am more inclined to think the plastic cover on the side of the seat is the cause, because when I press on it after hearing the noise it stops then continues after I let go.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast

I agree with you completely. When I asked the technician if the sound was observed - the answer I got was that they didn't hear it to begin with. I'm sure the mananger of the service department is looking "forward" to calling me back.. heh. Are you only having problems with the plastic piece on the left rear of the chair?

Quick Reply: Squeaking Passenger Is Seat Driving Me Nuts!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands