Squeaking Passenger Is Seat Driving Me Nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking Passenger Is Seat Driving Me Nuts!

I seem to be only having the issue with the passenger seat but that doesn't mean the driver's side wouldn't be a problem if I could drive without sitting in it. If someone is sitting in the passenger seat in cold temps that seat doesn't make the noise. So having weight on the seat or pushing the seat stops the noise. This kind of makes sense as this would slightly move the side plastic part away from whatever it is rubbing against.

I have tried to take the plastic cover off the seats but found it has a formed in clip on one area that doesn't come off. After some reading in other forum some have had to break the clip to get it off. They say it doesn't effect putting the cover back on. It seems idiotic though that Toyota would design it this way, because if they have to get in there I assume then they would also have to break it and then replace it after doing so, costing the customer more money.

Last edited by Resist; 03-15-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:58 PM

http://evnut.com/prius_seat_heat.htm

This link shows about where this hidden clip is.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=28973&hl=

Here is another thread I was part of about this issue.

Last edited by Resist; 03-15-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast

I'm glad to hear that you have fixed the squeak and I hope the broken clip mentioned doesn't do anything important. Enjoy the quiet rides to come.

Mac.

edit: sry for jumping to conclutions that you fixed your seat I though you were -Rest- from
http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=28973&hl= who wrote
"I did find that one of the yellow clips was off the middle of that plastic side seat cover. There is only one of these yellow clips on each cover. I put it back on and so far the squeeking has stopped.

I also found out to get the plastic cover off all the way requires breaking a clip (it's not a yellow one) at the seat back end. Apparently there is also a screw holding that end of the cover on, so with this clip broken it won't matter the cover still stays in place."

Last edited by Macromage; 03-15-2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling
Old 03-15-2007, 02:59 PM

I never said I fixed the squeak. I still have it.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Try this TSB and see if it helps.

NV004-06.pdf

Wayne

Old 03-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Resist
I never said I fixed the squeak. I still have it.
Can you have the dealer repair man ride in the back seat while you drive and point out the squeak? They should have some sort of stethoscope to help isolate the source.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-24-2007, 10:50 PM

My squeaking is definately not going to be fixed by that TSB. I discovered tonight if I push on the side fabric of the seat or the seat back lever the noise stops. It is two distinct noises. One seems to be where the seat fabric is hooked with a plastic clip to the seat frame.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:37 PM

Now the noise is happening even when it is warm inside my Prius! I can even push down on the seat and get the noise to happen. This is really getting on my nerves and considering this is my first Toyota I have to wonder if this is what Toyota quality is all about.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:18 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Resist
Now the noise is happening even when it is warm inside my Prius! I can even push down on the seat and get the noise to happen. This is really getting on my nerves and considering this is my first Toyota I have to wonder if this is what Toyota quality is all about.
Is this a warranty item? You are still in the first 3/36000 miles?

At this point, it is time to document the problem, establish a good paper trail, and begin escalation. Be civil and nice but make sure you have a good records and start going up the chain, if it is under warranty.

If it is not under warranty, consider having the seat "rebuilt." I'm looking at the diagrams and instructions in my "2003 Prius Maintenance Manual, Vol 2" that shows what it takes on my car. I believe similar instructions exist for the NHW20 model.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast

Res - I can wholeheartedly relate. My seat squeaks all the f*!(ing time; be it warm, cold - smooth road or rough asphalt. Thus far I've taken it in to the dealership 3x - the last thru the Service Manager. I'll be calling again today for yet another appointment and this time I'm sure my "Miss Manners" personality will be challenged. My temporary sanity is provided thru the ip0d @ high volume to drown it out.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Passenger Is Seat Driving Me Nuts!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands