Standard or Touring

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Standard or Touring

I am about to make a purchase and would like some information from owners. Primarily, I am concerned withMPG. Does the fact the touring edition has wider wheels make a difference in the MPG? Also, the touring package has stiffer handling. However, the dealer did not have two I could compare. Has anyone driven both and seen differences in the MPG and handling? Thanks in advance for the input.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Standard or Touring

I drove a few 2008 prius'. I decided on the red standard package 6. I thought the touring was uncomfortable, and harder to handle. Wider tires will bring mpg down, but not much. with the standard tires the car rides smoother and sits higher.
I have leather seats and still sit on a lumbar seat. (bad back.)The dealer I bought from is running more standards through. Don't over think this. My wife and I both preferred the "standard" after hours of driving both models.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Standard or Touring

The EPA doesn't list the touring separately MPG wise from the standard. In Japan, where both models have been available since day one, they list the "touring" (16" wheel model) as having about 5% poorer mileage.

The touring uses the same springs as the standard model, it just has stiffer anti-sway bars. I think the rear shocks are stiffer as well, but it's been some time since I read about the differences.

At any rate, if your main concern is mileage, just get the standard model. You'll save a bit of money, and get the best mileage. Be aware, the tires on the standard model (Goodyear Integrities) are poorer quality than the ones on the "touring". I threw mine away after four months and put on Nokian WR true all season tires in preparation for winter last fall. No impact on mileage, BTW.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Standard or Touring

The new issue of Consumers Reports mentions the Touring model, and they say it gets about 2mpg less than the standard model.

Paula