Tinting

Old 12-21-2005, 09:53 PM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Default Tinting

I got the New Black Prius tinted today. Medium dark in on the hatch and the back sides. The front windows are legal Texas tint. I have the back-up camera so I could have gone limo black in the back but my Wife did not want to go that dark. It' here car so she get's it how she wants it. They did not add any tint to the lower hatch window that already has some factory tint.

I had it tinted at a place that has done several of my vehicles dating back 20 years. They offer an 8 yr warranty and should be around to back it up. $189 walk out. The Toyota dealer wanted $495 for tint. No way was I paying that. Here in Houston we need all the heat rejection we can get in the Summer.

The tint makes it look a lot better! IMO

Old 12-22-2005, 06:48 AM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Tinting

Originally Posted by mg48
I got the New Black Prius tinted today. Medium dark in on the hatch and the back sides. The front windows are legal Texas tint. I have the back-up camera so I could have gone limo black in the back but my Wife did not want to go that dark. It' here car so she get's it how she wants it. They did not add any tint to the lower hatch window that already has some factory tint.

I had it tinted at a place that has done several of my vehicles dating back 20 years. They offer an 8 yr warranty and should be around to back it up. $189 walk out. The Toyota dealer wanted $495 for tint. No way was I paying that. Here in Houston we need all the heat rejection we can get in the Summer.

The tint makes it look a lot better! IMO
Just wondering about tinting windows a darker color to reject the heat. It would seem that a darker colored glass would absorb more IR and heat up more so than clear and transfer some of that heat to the inside air making the car warmer inside.

Greenhouses tint their windows a lighter color in summer to reject more sunlight thus keeping the temp's cooler.

Maybe there is a special glass coating that will reflect back some IR, like the partial silver gradient tint that I see a lot of around here now. Looks better than an all dark window.????

Old 12-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Just wondering about tinting windows a darker color to reject the heat. It would seem that a darker colored glass would absorb more IR and heat up more so than clear and transfer some of that heat to the inside air making the car warmer inside.
Actually, it's the metallic or ceramic content in the tint which reflects the heat, which effectively counteracts the effects of the darker color heat absorption.

Old 12-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Tinting only costs $189? I should have asked for that for Xmas.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Actually, it's the metallic or ceramic content in the tint which reflects the heat, which effectively counteracts the effects of the darker color heat absorption.
That was the first thing I did, tinted the windows 35* in the front & 20* on the rear w/Lumar tint ...