Trade Sienna for Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Trade Sienna for Prius?

Hi!
My wife and I are discussing trading our 2006 Sienna for a 2007 Prius. The Sienna gives us around 14 mpg.
Our dealer said that we can get a net zero trade for a 2007 Prius. Which means that we get around $23K+ for our Sienna. What we are looking at is a Prius with Package 2 (the one with the Smart Key and backup camera).
Do you guys think a 2007 Prius a worthy vehicle to take a $6K loss? My calculations show me that we could probably make that money back in 3 years time.
Regards,
SKC

Old 05-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trade Sienna for Prius?

Normally you loose that much when you drive it off the lot for the fist time. And now with the oil company's help! they will be that much more ruthless

Old 05-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

From my calculations, if I drive even 10000 miles, the difference in fuel costs should save me around $1500 a year. That should let me recoup my costs in around 4 years.
From nearly $2500 down to $775.

I am not sure on how to convince the wife that the Prius is a good trade for a gas-chugging Sienna.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

They do like thier minni vans! Tell her to start thinking of our planet, that may help?

Old 05-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, what are your needs? I think everyone should drive the most efficient vehicle they can, given that it meets their needs effectively. So, do you need the room or cargo capacity of the minivan? Have you driven a Prius? More than around the block? I love mine, but I could not own it as my only car as I frequently have to take long road trips and I find it more fatiguing to drive long distances than my Saab, especially in windy conditions. My Saab gets 30mpg at 75mph and the Prius gets 42-45mpg in the same conditions, so the advantage is not worth the sacrifice. Where the Prius shines is as an urban/suburban car, or for long commutes to work, imho.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Engineering first

Hi,

I'm a great believer in "the right tool for the right job." There are times when the van is the right answer and times when the Prius is the right tool. One thing I've learned in 30 years of marriage, don't try to win every argument.

Perhaps the right answer is a two-car family. You might consider a used Prius as a run-around town car.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Appreciate all your input.

For now, we have agreed to keep the Sienna. With having to move 2 kids and stuff to softball/soccer practice, we might need the van. So I suppose the Prius is on hold.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by 2007skc
Thanks guys. Appreciate all your input.

For now, we have agreed to keep the Sienna. With having to move 2 kids and stuff to softball/soccer practice, we might need the van. So I suppose the Prius is on hold.
You might take a look at the Ebay, used Prius, the 2001-2003 models. There are some attractive buys there.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Hybrid Newbie

I agree with Mr. Wilson's right tool for the right job principles.

If you have to move stuff and taking young children to ball games, you probably won't be able to avoid driving a minivan or even a mid-size SUV any time soon until children are big enough and free from bulky booster car seats. It's not fault, it's just the reality.

Personally, I am not a big fan of used car, certainly no fan of eBay. As long as you can take the risks, it's not a bad idea either, but this year, I have seen people paying about the same price ( 22-24K ) for 2005 Prius which you can very well get a very decent nicely equipped new 2007 Prius. Might want to take a look and see how it turns out, since Toyota is running some big 50 anniversary discount and for the first time, they overtake GM...

Just a thought.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2007skc
Hi!
My wife and I are discussing trading our 2006 Sienna for a 2007 Prius. The Sienna gives us around 14 mpg.
Our dealer said that we can get a net zero trade for a 2007 Prius. Which means that we get around $23K+ for our Sienna. What we are looking at is a Prius with Package 2 (the one with the Smart Key and backup camera).
Do you guys think a 2007 Prius a worthy vehicle to take a $6K loss? My calculations show me that we could probably make that money back in 3 years time.
Regards,
SKC
The hatchback on the Prius can handle quite a bit, especially with the rear seat down. It certainly cannot match a Minivan, though. Unless you have a lot of kids or a lot of stuff you need to transport, a Minivan really is not a good vehicle to get.

A package #2 2007 Prius is now selling for $22,000 here in Eugene Oregon. But we are a real hot Prius market here, 10th highest in the nation.

Lance

Quick Reply: Trade Sienna for Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands