Trailer Hitch Bike Rack/Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Trailer Hitch Bike Rack/Carrier

Last month at the Ocotillo, CA Century Bike Ride, I spotted a Prius with a hitch bike carrier. At that time I should have stopped and put a note on the car to contact me. Well, so this is my solution.

Several of you have such a creature. Usually the carrier is configured for 2 bikes with the front wheels off and the fork skewer locked. Even if you're carrier will hold the bike with both wheels on I'd like to hear from you.

How's your milage? Any issues with warrantee violation? Any additional info would be appreciated.

Last edited by centrider; 02-03-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: correct spelling.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Rack/Carrier

Do a search on this forum for Draftmaster Hitch. There are several suggestions there. Additionally, see the Prius Trailers web site about hitches and even trailers if you're interested.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Default Re: Trailer Hitch Bike Rack/Carrier

Originally Posted by chainedup
Do a search on this forum for Draftmaster Hitch. There are several suggestions there. Additionally, see the Prius Trailers web site about hitches and even trailers if you're interested.
Thanks. If you know of anyone with a bike rack on a Prius, that would be helpful. The hitch is not the problem. The problem is: how does the bike/bike rack impact mpg. I know, for example that a roof rack cuts mpg from about 50 mpg to less than 40.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by centrider
Thanks. If you know of anyone with a bike rack on a Prius, that would be helpful. The hitch is not the problem. The problem is: how does the bike/bike rack impact mpg. I know, for example that a roof rack cuts mpg from about 50 mpg to less than 40.
I looked at several bike rack options 2 years ago when I was going on a long trip in the prius. I opted for the Saris Barebones hatchback mounted rack. I removed the wheels and given all the other variables of the trip (loaded down car and two dogs) I didn't notice an mpg impact. I was still getting around 48 mpgs on the highway.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by berkshires
I looked at several bike rack options 2 years ago when I was going on a long trip in the prius. I opted for the Saris Barebones hatchback mounted rack. I removed the wheels and given all the other variables of the trip (loaded down car and two dogs) I didn't notice an mpg impact. I was still getting around 48 mpgs on the highway.
Great. Good info. I carry mine inside, and even with a wife and camping equipment, luggage etc we got over 50. I think a hitch mount would give the same results.

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by centrider
Last month at the Ocotillo, CA Century Bike Ride, I spotted a Prius with a hitch bike carrier. At that time I should have stopped and put a note on the car to contact me. Well, so this is my solution.

Several of you have such a creature. Usually the carrier is configured for 2 bikes with the front wheels off and the fork skewer locked. Even if you're carrier will hold the bike with both wheels on I'd like to hear from you.

How's your milage? Any issues with warrantee violation? Any additional info would be appreciated.
I have a hitch from Uhall cost 119.95 takes 15 minutes to install anyone can do it. It hasn't affected my mileage at all. It's on a 2006 and I've had it on for two years now with no problems.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by lshean
I have a hitch from Uhall cost 119.95 takes 15 minutes to install anyone can do it. It hasn't affected my mileage at all. It's on a 2006 and I've had it on for two years now with no problems.
Right. Thanks.

What do you use the hitch for? Pulling a small trailer? Pulling a camping trailer?m A bike carrier?

Old 02-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

I haul 3 adult bicycles.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by lshean
I haul 3 adult bicycles.
Ah HA! Now that's info I'm looking for. And mpg stays roughly the same as without the bikes.

Thanks