Trailer on Toyota Prius!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Trailer on Toyota Prius!

Hi, I'm new to this board and the reason why I'm writing to you is becaus I need an information befor finally buying a Toyota Prius 2005.

My seller at the dealer told me that I couldn't put a trailer on it but I'D really need to put one on mine. The thing is also that I knew more about the car than the salesman himself...pretty much encouraging!

So, I'd like to know if it would cancel the 8-year warranty on the car if I'd add a trailer on it.

Thanks for your answers!

Sam

Old 05-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: Trailer on Toyota Prius!

I don't have direct knowledge, but I can just about guarantee it. Not only would it likely void your warranty, but you may be physically unable to pull the trailer. It's possible the entire hybrid system will shut down to prevent you from doing damage.

You'll find this a good read. Note that while the Escape doesn't use Hybrid Synergy Drive, it uses many of Toyota's patents and is a very similar system.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...arts.2208.html

Old 05-19-2005, 06:28 AM
Technogeek

Sam,
FYI, there is a hitch kit available for the Prius, but most will tell you it should be used for attaching a rack system for bikes/skis/etc. If you were to pull a very light utility trailier, you may be ok, but keep in mind that the Prius was not designed to pull anything. You may jeopardize your warranty and will certainly greatly reduce the mileage benefits. If you really must pull a trailer, maybe a hybrid is not for you.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks PrimeRisk,

for your information, I don't have the intention to pull a trailer quite often, just a couple times every year! The main reason why I want to know if I can put a "trailer kit" (sorry, I don't know how to say this in English) (in fench, we say "attache-remorque") is that I want to transport my bikes with me when I go somewhere else.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Technogeek

I think you would be fine using the trailer hitch (trailer kit works too) to attach a bike rack. I have seen two different Prius vehicles with hitch-mount bike racks running around town.

Old 05-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Our Prius I has a trailer kit on it, primarily for a bike rack. It was installed at the dealership, so I doubt it will void any warranty. I'm pretty sure they come ready to accept the kit, no welding or drilling necessary.

You can tow light loads, just like you can haul a car full of people, it just cuts down on the fuel economy, as you would expect, especially up them hills. It says this in the manual.

Last edited by Schwa; 06-07-2005 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If by bikes you mean bicycles, there is no problem. Lots of solutions for racks are available.

I personally would not try to *tow* anything, and would opt to rent a vehicle for those occasions instead.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EricGo
If by bikes you mean bicycles, there is no problem. Lots of solutions for racks are available.

I personally would not try to *tow* anything, and would opt to rent a vehicle for those occasions instead.
baloney, imnsho....

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=101046121

and

http://www.plusaf.com/prius/prius.htm

Old 02-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason
I don't have direct knowledge, but I can just about guarantee it. Not only would it likely void your warranty, but you may be physically unable to pull the trailer. It's possible the entire hybrid system will shut down to prevent you from doing damage.

You'll find this a good read. Note that while the Escape doesn't use Hybrid Synergy Drive, it uses many of Toyota's patents and is a very similar system.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...arts.2208.html
or you can check my links at http://www.plusaf.com/prius/prius.htm