Turning off Routine Beeps

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

Has anyone figured out how to turn off the regular beeps that occurr every time you press a button on the steering wheel or around the multi-screen?

I'm finding it very annoying, especially on long trips, while carrying on a conversation or while my wife is trying to sleep.

I asked the Prius Tech at the dealer last time I had it in and he said he'd "look into it", but haven't heard anything.

I did look through, both the Menu Settings screen and also searched the Multi5.pdf document that was posted on the 04 Prius Yahoo Group site - to no avail.

TIA,

Peter

Old 01-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Site Founder

From the Prius FAQ file that's floatin around...

1. Power on (not necessarily ready, IG-ON will do).
2. Set Trip/ODO to ODO
3. Power off.
4. Power on to ready (brake on).
5. Within 6 seconds, press and hold ODO for 10 seconds or more.
6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* 10 seconds, Shift from P to R, then back to P. Now release ODO.
7. You'll see in the trip display "b on" or "b off".
8. Press ODO to toggle.
9. Now power off.
Let me know how it turns out! I'm debating on turning off mine, as well. I've never come close to "accidentally" hitting it, but I know it only takes once.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

I believe these directions only apply to the "R"everse beep.

I did this and like it much better without the reverse beep. This person is looking to turn off other interior beeps, suc as when you "touch" the the LCD screen (and it beeps with each touch).

Old 01-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Site Founder

Ah, good point. I'd much like to get rid of that beep, as well. Actually, the ideal would be about 1/2 the volume that it is currently -- enough to be heard but not annoying and interruptive.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

Jason,

Go ahead and try it, you can always set it back the way it was.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Site Founder

True, but my concern is that the one time I need it -- the one time that it gets flicked in the wrong position as I hit the gas at after a light... I'm gonna regret it.

Old 01-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Jason, for the instructions.

I have, actually, already successfully used those to turn off the infernal Reverse beeping (much more sane now, especially with our recent snow in Oregon) .

Does anyone know of a way to contact corporate Toyota technical folks?

TIA,

Peter

Old 01-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast

Peter,

I wonder if you can make changes to that from this Diagnostic menu (or maybe something similar exists elsewhere):

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...wtopic=131&hl=

~Jeffrey

Old 01-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Site Founder

Welp, I turned off the reverse beeper! Let's hope I don't regret it later...

Still no ideas about the other beeps, eh?

Old 01-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

Some people "mod"ded their Classic Priuses to lower interior volume of the turn signals by finding the speaker that produced the sound and placing some dampering -- cotton bat, duct tape, etc. -- over the speaker grille to block some of the volume.

I don't know where the speakers are for these internal (infernal?) beeps, but it's an idea.

peace,
Linda B)

Quick Reply: Turning off Routine Beeps

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands