Who would buy an AWD Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Who would buy an AWD Prius?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of AWD prius?

Considering the data between HH FWD vs AWD, I guess the only disadvantage is the price premium for the rear elctric motor.

I would buy one in a heartbeat for my wife.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Who would buy an AWD Prius?

Wouldn't that decrease FE pretty significantly?

Old 10-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast

By common sense alone it means a decrease in fuel efficiency which is demonstrated by all makes and models of cars.

But, to the contrary, Highlander hybrid mileage database revealed that HH AWD is 27 mpg whereas HH FWD is 26 mpg.

Besides, HH AWD is more half second quicker 0-60 mph.

There is only one reason that I can think of. It indicates that 2 traction motors is better than 1 in recapturing energy from regenerative braking.

That is how the toyota hybrid synergy (HSD) primarily excel in city stop and go driving anyway.

One added bonus is the rear traction motor (MG rear) has 50 horses.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There would be an increase in weight, but overall it's nothing like normal AWD since more electric motor power doesn't equate to less efficiency like adding more gasoline engine power or the extra mechanical losses in an AWD system.

I think they could totally sell an AWD Prius, it would be great for people considering something like a Subaru or even the FEH just to have AWD. It would also definitely make the Prius accelerate faster since most of it's zip comes from the torque of the traction motor, so 2 more tires with a decent traction motor would give it a nice boost.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, no offence, it's an idea. But in my opinion, it's a waste. Are you going offroading in the Prius since it has such whopping ground clearance? No.
Driving in the snow doesn't justify putting AWD on everything. All you need is a good set of snow tires and some patience. The Prius isn't a high HP car and that works to your advantage which will help you gain traction in bad weather and keep you from driving like a crackhead. Or are you the guy in the SUV that flies past me in a blizzard because he has AWD and then I see 4 miles later turned over in the middle of the highway? As for performance, if that is what you want, then go buy the suby or get a new Si.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast

Well, I am not buying a prius for my wife primarily because it is not AWD and the driveway is so steep that there is no way a 2wd can handle it.

A subaru would be fine but I like the HSD technology plus the mileage advantage.

Old 10-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast

There are some schools of thought that say that a wheel just rolling along for the ride generates more resistance than a wheel under power -- such that it offsets the transmission losses, etc.

Additionally, spreading the power among four wheels will reduce wheel slippage on dirt and gravel roads, as well as wet roads. Less slippage translates into more forward motion. Add to that the ability to make lighter weight transmission parts as that power is more evenly distributed-- the additional weight of an AWD system would be minimal.

And finally-- sales. People would leap at the chance to get one of those beauties in an AWD model.

My dream car (I swear, I'm not making this up) is a 1997 Toyota Previa with All-Trac. Something about the combination of a supercharger and AWD and the nice space-age looks is compelling. An AWD Prius would quickly replace the Previa as my dream car .

Old 10-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Grew up in PA and seen many 2wd cars make it up some pretty steep driveways. Even my old RWD 86 Monte made it up some steep driveways with studded tires and 200lbs of tar paper in the trunk...lol.

Seriously though, get a GOOD set of snowtires, or studded if you must. if you start slipping you can "walk" it up the hill.

Now coming back down is a different adventure, if sliding is a problem then, even 4wd probably won't help you. 4 wheels slide just as well as 2.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:52 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Thumbs up Re: Who would buy an AWD Prius?

If they could also increase the ground clearance by a couple of inches, I would buy one THIS MINUTE! This is almost my "dream car". I would pay $30,000 for it.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Quick Reply: Who would buy an AWD Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands