Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wind Noise

My Prius has the least amount of wind noise of any vehicle I have owned, and in fact of any car I've traveled in. I was a passenger in a buddy's $$$ SUV and the wind noise in that vehicle was way louder than my Prius.

Check to see all the windows are fully rolled up if you are having wind noise issues.

Harry

Old 04-14-2007, 04:02 PM

We have two Prius vehicles, a 2006 and a 2007. Both have window wind noise, so it makes me believe it is normal. It is not engine noise or vent noise, the side windows have wind noise at freeway speeds only, as if the window is open a crack. I have owned many vehicles over my lifetime and none have had such a pronounced wind sound from the windows at freeway speeds as our two prius. It is not so loud that you can't talk in the vehicle while driving but it is annoying and something I thought a company like Toyota would not allow to happen. Toyota quality.....Hmmmmm, my other less expensive GM vehicle doesn't have this noise.

I'm wondering if these would help? http://priuschat.com/shop/product_in...products_id/38

Last edited by Resist; 04-14-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Resist
. . . Hmmmmm, my other less expensive GM vehicle doesn't have this noise.
It might help to document the sound levels:

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-7-range...i-2103668.html

Bob Wilson

Old 04-14-2007, 06:15 PM

Not like I really need to do this. The noise is very obvious when driving at freeway speeds. You can't not hear it. Again it sounds like the window is open just a crack. I don't notice it in the back seat windows, just the driver's and passengers windows. During City street driving there is no wind noise.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:26 AM
Engineering first

Not like I really need to do this. The noise is very obvious when driving at freeway speeds. You can't not hear it. Again it sounds like the window is open just a crack. I don't notice it in the back seat windows, just the driver's and passengers windows. During City street driving there is no wind noise.
The meter would also let you isolate where it is coming from. There might be a repairable defect but the first step is finding the precise source.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-15-2007, 02:42 PM

I know where the noise is coming from, it is the same on the drivers and passengers window. It is along the top seal.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Engineering first

I know where the noise is coming from, it is the same on the drivers and passengers window. It is along the top seal.
One trick is to take a strip of paper, an inch or so wide and use it to find gaps or places where it is not sealing completely. That is the easy part. The hard part is the fix.

If the seal is not damaged, the usual fix involves rehanging the door. That takes power tools and skill . . . something a body shop would do.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-15-2007, 05:57 PM

I don't see how the seal could be damaged in a new car, let alone damaged in two vehicles.

I just bought that Radio Shack sound level meter, the digital one but now I have to figure out how to use it.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Wind Noise

. . .
I just bought that Radio Shack sound level meter, the digital one but now I have to figure out how to use it.
Excellent! Now I have an excuse to buy one too!

Bob Wilson

Old 04-16-2007, 03:29 PM

You tell me to buy the meter and you don't have one?

Quick Reply: Wind Noise

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands