Blown A/C Compressor fix!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Blown A/C Compressor fix!

My A/C compressor blew about 3 months ago and I have been driving my 12 Honda Civic Hybrid since then w/o AC. Hasn't been too big of an issue other than the loud rattling noise from the engine compartment. This past weekend the AC clutch completely locked up, so much so that the belt would not rotate. I thought I was going to have to invest $3k to get a new AC compressor. The car would not start. I was able to find a shorter serpentine belt and bypass the compressor-the car started up with no trouble and has been driving excellently! Just wanted to throw this out there!

Old 11-26-2018, 06:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Blown A/C Compressor fix!

Likely that you just need a new compressor clutch. They can be replaced separately.

Consider that you are putting your HV battery at risk. Battery is cooled with interior air. If you're running in the summer w/o A/C, you're cooking the battery. Slightly less of an issue with your lithium cells, but I absolutely killed an HCH2 NiMH pack with a single summer of aggressive hypermiling w/o A/C.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Blown A/C Compressor fix!

Originally Posted by Cosme416
My A/C compressor blew about 3 months ago and I have been driving my 12 Honda Civic Hybrid since then w/o AC. Hasn't been too big of an issue other than the loud rattling noise from the engine compartment. This past weekend the AC clutch completely locked up, so much so that the belt would not rotate. I thought I was going to have to invest $3k to get a new AC compressor. The car would not start. I was able to find a shorter serpentine belt and bypass the compressor-the car started up with no trouble and has been driving excellently! Just wanted to throw this out there!
Can you please clarify part number or belt size you used? I’m in the same boat. This would be a life changer for me.

Please, and thank you!