Honda Civic 2008 battery needs replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 03:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Honda Civic 2008 battery needs replacement?

I bought a second Civic Hybrid and I got problems with the battery. It goes from 5 lines to 2 lines in a matter of a minute. Seems like the capacity is not good. The previous owner says he put a refurbished battery in it. He says I need to discharge and charge the battery with the equipment he gave me. Is this normal procedure with this car? I’m not happy with this. If the battery is not ok I want to be compensated. Could you guys tell me if the battery is broken?

Old 08-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Civic 2008 battery needs replacement?

The gauge behavior you describe is a "negative recalibration".

It results from imbalance in the 132 cells in the battery. The pack is monitored in 11 places. One or more of the 11 voltages drops too low during assist. The car terminates assist, drops the gage to 2 bars at 1 bar per second.

It will then almost completely disable assist and begin force charging. After some time, one or more of the 11 voltages indictes "full" thus triggering a "positive recalibration" where charging is terminated, and the gauge goes to 8 bars at 1 bar per second. A positive recalibration does not always occur after a forced charge, but when they do, it indicates a very imbalanced and deteriorated battery.

If he has provided you with a grid charger that powers the battery fan to cool the battery while charging, then yes it will likely help. The correct sequence is to charge for approximately 24 hours and then discharge in accordance with the system instructions.

Grid charging has emerged as a maintenance/recovery option for deteriorated IMA batteries. It has been pretty common for 6+ years. One can get a significant life extension, but once a battery requires grid charging to function properly, its days are numbered.

If he disclosed the need for grid charging as part of the sale, and you did not do your research, then it's your fault for not educating yourself. If he portrayed the battery as in perfect health, then it's on him. The very fact that he provided you a grid charger system TELLS you the battery is deteriorated. As a result, you were given enough information to conclude that the battery was not in perfect health at the time of sale and aren't entitled to anything.

I'm sorry your having problems. Unfortunately, the 06-08 HCH2 has the dubious distinction of having the 2nd worst hybrid battery every made with a 1 in 7 failure rate after 4-6 years. The only battery WORSE than the 06-08 HCH2 is the 09-11 HCH2 with a 30% failure rate in 3-4 years. This information has been available since 2013.

I've owned two '06 HCH2, and I've owned 15 batteries for them. I've been able to build 3 good ones from that pool of components. That has more to do with what Phoenix heat does to a badly designed battery, but I've touched 200 Prius batteries and been able to build about 150 good ones. Same heat. Different batteries.