Best MPG civic or insight hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Best MPG civic or insight hybrid

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
I found an interesting blog the other day that talked a little about the new Insight. Not sure if this link will work. It's just kind of a "teaser". To read the entire article you have to be a member of their organization.

http://vcc-sae.org/conferences/8/posts/14
From the link:

It’s got a new NiMH battery that’s 31% smaller, has 30% more power and durability, and is about 40% less expensive.
This is flat wrong. The old Insight battery was higher voltage and had higher amp hour capacity. I do believe that the new battery is less expensive...

Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CBondHonda
Im sorry to disagree with a few folks on here....but I can Guarantee that the Insight in real-world / longer term driving results will edge out the Civic Hybrid by as much as 10MPG's on average....

I have been able to drive our demo for a while now, and from personal experieince to my customers who have already purchased a 2010 Insight - especially if ECON is used - the Insight is much better in overall city / hwy MPG's.....even more-so that many Prius MPG reports you see.
I'm quite sure that a hypermiler driving a 2010 Insight will be able to crush the EPA figures by as much as double however I'd like to know where you get the idea that the Insight will beat the Civic by 10MPG? If what you "Guarantee" is true how do you account for the standardized EPA figures?

Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Best MPG civic or insight hybrid

...I can Guarantee that the Insight in real-world / longer term driving results will edge out the Civic Hybrid by as much as 10MPG's on average...
While a novice hybrid driver might do better than on the Civic, I doubt that there will be any significant advantage to a seasoned hybrid driver. On another site, the salesperson took a Civic Hybrid and an Insight on the same route, and got 56 MPG on the Insight and 58 MPG on the Civic Hybrid. Of course, you have to be assured in such tests that the battery state-of-charge is the same for both cars, as well as tire pressure, etc. Time will tell the story; hence, no need for guarantees or premature claims.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

Just got my new 2010 Insight on 4/7/09. Traded my 2005 HCH.
First day out after a 100 mile run, mpg was 51. On HCH average recently (with new Michelin tires that killed mpg - another story-) had been 42.

This is the very FIRST day, to which I can only improve. I was using all tricks I know to get max mileage so I think I can hit 58+ no problem.

Plus, the "fan factor" kills they Civic I had. Talking to the Nav just cracks me up!

Happy to respond to any questions I can.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

John,

When you go 51 MPG was it via the computer or tank to tank fill up.

If you have a chance can you check the mpg computer for accuracy.

Also what type of driving where you doing.

Thanks

alster

Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hybrid_Jon
Just got my new 2010 Insight on 4/7/09. Traded my 2005 HCH.
First day out after a 100 mile run, mpg was 51. On HCH average recently (with new Michelin tires that killed mpg - another story-) had been 42.

This is the very FIRST day, to which I can only improve. I was using all tricks I know to get max mileage so I think I can hit 58+ no problem.

Plus, the "fan factor" kills they Civic I had. Talking to the Nav just cracks me up!

Happy to respond to any questions I can.
Congrats on your new purchase. The new Insight sounds like a hoot. I like that they put the traction battery in the floor so you can fold down the rear seat.

I'm going to wait for the database to fill up with data before deciding weather the new Insight gets better MPG than the HCH. My guess is that they will be very close in the long run. Time will tell.

BTW The new Insight will have a huge advantage at first with warmer weather coming up. We need to give this a full year or more before making a final judgment.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

So far just off of computer. Only gone 100 miles yet.
I drive 100 miles +/- each day round trip to work.
60/40 fwy/city.
To work I got 57 mpg as there are more downhills and could coast.
Home there is a lot of steep grades so average was lessened.
Drove the same as I drove my HCH.

I will post mileage after first fill up.

It is really evident thought that it is easier to attain higher mileage than my 2005 HCH at least on my commute. By how much.... give me a couple of weeks to be sure.

I bought this anticipating at least a +10-15 mpg increase. If not, so what. It was well worth it.

A few things are different. Seems to want to leave auto stop much easier. You really gotta hold the break down. Can't seem to glide as well in auto stop as could before, but still in training.

Vehicle is much quieter, not as much electronic engine whine as before.
Ventilation system is much better. Nav is just awesome. Cupholders suck.
Had to put aftermarket iPod integration in HCH, this comes on EX with Nav.
Folding rear seats are very handy. Bluetooth handsfree--- awesome. Rear view window view--- is different than HCH for sure, just use your mirrors and get over it.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Sales Guru/CarDeal Mentor

Originally Posted by BigTuna
I'm quite sure that a hypermiler driving a 2010 Insight will be able to crush the EPA figures by as much as double however I'd like to know where you get the idea that the Insight will beat the Civic by 10MPG? If what you "Guarantee" is true how do you account for the standardized EPA figures?

I account for that by telling you that those EPA estimates were based on driving the insight2 under NON-ECON mode conditions...and as time progresses, it will be proven HOW MUCH of a difference using the ECON mode makes.

On my Demo....without Econ being used...the EPA estimates are spot on....however with Econ Mode engaged and without even trying very hard...I crush those numbers by as much as 10 to 15 MPG's every time.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Sales Guru/CarDeal Mentor

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
While a novice hybrid driver might do better than on the Civic, I doubt that there will be any significant advantage to a seasoned hybrid driver. On another site, the salesperson took a Civic Hybrid and an Insight on the same route, and got 56 MPG on the Insight and 58 MPG on the Civic Hybrid. Of course, you have to be assured in such tests that the battery state-of-charge is the same for both cars, as well as tire pressure, etc. Time will tell the story; hence, no need for guarantees or premature claims.

LOL

Im not worried about being disproven....I drive one everyday....just like I drove the HCH2 every day for over 6 months as well....

Hypermiling in the Insight will show gains on MPG's in the 70's and higher very easily.....

So yes time will tell....but I already personally know the answer....

Old 04-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

I account for that by telling you that those EPA estimates were based on driving the insight2 under NON-ECON mode conditions...and as time progresses, it will be proven HOW MUCH of a difference using the ECON mode makes.
You might be correct. I'm going to wait for the database to prove this out, one way or the other.

Do you have any proof or links that show that the EPA tests were done in non-econ mode?

Quick Reply: Best MPG civic or insight hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands