Blind spots on Insight due to Kamm design

Old 04-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Blind spots on Insight due to Kamm design

I came back from seeing the new Insight. It is nicely appointed and rather good looking for its class.

However, my first concern when seeing it was based on my experience owning an Insight I, in which the rear design caused terrible blind spots. I can't tell you how many times I had extremely close calls on SoCal freeways due to the Insight's major blind spots.

As expected, the second-generation Insight seems pretty much the same, and having learned my lesson, would be an absolute deal-breaker for me. I expect the Prius would have virtually the same issue, in fairness to Honda. To an extent, one grows used to the blind spots. But in my case, it never decreased my lane-change stress level during daily commutes.

Prior to this morning, I was having mild second thoughts about buying an '09 HCH knowing the Insight was right around the corner time-wise. But now I know that the HCH is still my clear favorite... the only small sedan hybrid on the market.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Default Re: Blind spots on Insight due to Kamm design

Dude! Sorry man, but I gotta disagree.

I went for a test drive in the new Insight (EX) today and loved it. The thought of blind spots never even crossed my mind.

I thought the side view mirrors seemed somewhat large if anything, and the clear glass in the vertical portion of the hatch to help with the rear view was sheer genius. I actually thought the visibility was great.

Of course I don't have to drive on SoCal freeways and I long ago trained myself to lean forward and get a better view out the sideview before I switch lanes.

But yeah, I loved it. I've been watching it coming for a while and have been impressed from the concept on, but the test drive really exceeded my expectations.

I'll go for a couple more test drives before I jump, but with the IMA/CEL lights on solid in the over 200K '03 HCH, not to mention the nasty noise coming out of the manual transmission, I think it's time.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Arrow Re: Blind spots on Insight due to Kamm design

Originally Posted by mrkcohen

I went for a test drive in the new Insight (EX) today and loved it. The thought of blind spots never even crossed my mind.
Glad to get your feedback. Your viewpoint may be more valid than mine, since I just sat in it, and you actually drove it. I could be overly-sensitive to the problem, since it was what I hated most about my first-generation Insight. Thanks for the good report.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Sales Guru/CarDeal Mentor

Originally Posted by mrkcohen

I thought the side view mirrors seemed somewhat large if anything, and the clear glass in the vertical portion of the hatch to help with the rear view was sheer genius. I actually thought the visibility was great.

Of course I don't have to drive on SoCal freeways and I long ago trained myself to lean forward and get a better view out the sideview before I switch lanes.

But yeah, I loved it. I've been watching it coming for a while and have been impressed from the concept on, but the test drive really exceeded my expectations.

I'll go for a couple more test drives before I jump, but with the IMA/CEL lights on solid in the over 200K '03 HCH, not to mention the nasty noise coming out of the manual transmission, I think it's time.

I have to agree....

The oversized side mirrors combined with the inward sloping rear panels on the 2010 Insight negate any blind spots that the c pillar causes.

As long as your mirrors are set properly, you can actually see behind you with your side mirrors....combined with the rear view mirror and lower view window of the hatch make for very few if any blind spots at all....in my opinion anyway.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:55 PM

We came to our '06 Civic Hybrid from a '91 Accord, and I found a great reduction in rear and rear/corner visibility doing that switch. 3 years later I still don't like it: the forest of back seat head rests, thin strip of rear window and thick rear pillar do not inspire confidence when changing lanes.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:55 PM

Why not store the rear headrests unless/until you need them? I am very happy with the visibility, however. The BMW 1600/2002 is the visibility champ, I think. It had a huge greenhouse of windows.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

I can see better in my new insight then I could in my old cougar. But it is weird to look out the rear view mirror with the way the back is. But I don't have a problem with it.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2010 Honda insight and I installed a 270 mm long convex mirror above existing mirror. Problem solved.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Steven, I've thought about taking them out, but we have back seat passengers often enough to make it a hassle: I wouldn't want someone back there without a headrest, since their prime function is to reduce whiplash. Plus, I'm sure to lose them or get them covered in cobwebs, etc

Old 04-07-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Franko
I have a 2010 Honda insight and I installed a 270 mm long convex mirror above existing mirror. Problem solved.
Not wanting to be difficult, because if it works for YOU, that's what counts most.

I know convex mirrors and setting the right angle will help, but any Driver's Ed class or DMV manual will tell you to (1) use mirrors, and then (2) look out the window.

When cars change multiple lanes furiously at 80+ MPH as they do here in SoCal, a mirror will often give inadequate feedback, no matter how good it's adjusted or how convex it might be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blind spots on Insight due to Kamm design

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands