Bought an Insight in Ohio...Any insight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bought an Insight in Ohio...Any insight?

Short trips are hard on all cars, but we buy them for our needs! At first you do worry a bit when the engine stops, but after a few days you realize that it is always ready to go by the time your foot gets to the trottle. Best thing you can do is lay back and drive normal, its just like driving any old car with Auto. trans., but it's not a normal car!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Short trips are hard on all cars, but we buy them for our needs! At first you do worry a bit when the engine stops, but after a few days you realize that it is always ready to go by the time your foot gets to the trottle. Best thing you can do is lay back and drive normal, its just like driving any old car with Auto. trans., but it's not a normal car!
Harold, Great info because max milage is not going to be her goal. Just the thought she is doing something to save gas and c02 emissions
Thanks Rick

Old 02-23-2007, 07:21 AM

Yes it is about time we are starting to think about our world, enjoy the trip. Have you checked the Hyways out on the net? The camera all ows you to see the conditions! Very good tool. Heading south today.H

Old 02-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Yes it is about time we are starting to think about our world, enjoy the trip. Have you checked the Hyways out on the net? The camera all ows you to see the conditions! Very good tool. Heading south today.H
Thanks can you give me exact site for Hyways? Because google can't find it.
Rick.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 PM

Did you get home OK?

Old 04-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Yes.

2480 miles, $104.75 in gas. Car is perfect. AZ HOV tag on it. Windows tinted. Bigger AGM Deka starting battery installed. Wife drives it every day, we love it.

Thanks again for the great help.
Rick

Old 04-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Rick in Yuma, Starting battery? On a Honda Insight, the 144 volt battery pack is used to start the engine, via the electric motor connected directly to the engine crank shaft. Only under certain conditions such as below zero temps or fully depleted battery pack, does the backup 12 volt starter turn the engine.

I live in WA, but cruise through Yuma fairly often in my 2005 Insight. It's one of my favorite towns. I sometimes go to Somerton, Gadsden, San Luis, or even Algodones. Last June I went from Yuma to Spokane, WA and averaged 102.2 mpg! With a range of about 1000 miles, I don't stop for fuel too often.....

Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billy6
Hi Rick in Yuma, Starting battery? On a Honda Insight, the 144 volt battery pack is used to start the engine, via the electric motor connected directly to the engine crank shaft. Only under certain conditions such as below zero temps or fully depleted battery pack, does the backup 12 volt starter turn the engine.

I live in WA, but cruise through Yuma fairly often in my 2005 Insight. It's one of my favorite towns. I sometimes go to Somerton, Gadsden, San Luis, or even Algodones. Last June I went from Yuma to Spokane, WA and averaged 102.2 mpg! With a range of about 1000 miles, I don't stop for fuel too often.....
Not sure of the fine points. All I know is the tiny lead acid Battery under the hood does something important. Because the car was dead without it.

Lead acid batteries get about 2yrs of life down here so I called my Deka rep and had him ship me one.(AGM=No water) Better to change it now when it is 75 then in July when it is 116.

PM me the next time your down I would like to see the mod's to your car.
Rick

Old 02-28-2008, 08:51 AM
2003 CVT Insight Owner

I just bought a 2003 Insight with 50K miles from a Saturn dealership in New York and drove it home to New Orleans, Louisiana (1,400 miles in 2 days) with NO PROBLEMS It drove beautifully. I am getting it an oil change and check out at my Honda dealer asap. I would be most concerned about a having a full tire handy just in case. Apparently the tire size type that fits Insight is difficult to find. In fact, I joined this site so I could start getting advice on tires. And of course, I will join insight.net soon. My lifetime MPG on the car is low, but it is already giving me better averages. I think the average will continue to improve and even if I can't get it to maintain 60mpg, I am still getting almost twice the miles per gallon as my old civic. And my car has a SULEV rating - I am so proud. LOVE MY "NEW" INSIGHT!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 AM

Great little car! Good purchase and you came to the correct place. I wish I had a Insight. You may want to check out cleanmpg site as well? Enjoy your Insight, H

Quick Reply: Bought an Insight in Ohio...Any insight?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands