can't unlock doors with the key

Old 10-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Enthusiast
Question can't unlock doors with the key

I have a 2005 Insight CVT and find that I can only unlock it using the remote. Is this normal? I've read through the owner's manual and the security system manual twice and there is no mention of this. The car does have the security system (dealer installed, I didn't really want it as an option) and the few times I've tested it with the key, I went to unlock the driver door or the hatch and the alarm goes off.

I haven't called the dealer about this yet. I know there are ways to change various ways of how the security system works (or disable it completely), but I can't see any reference to opening MY car with MY keys.

Deb

Old 10-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Default Re: can't unlock doors with the key

If you don't set the alarm then you can lock and unlock it manualy. Most alarms require deactivation before you use the key. Most of them also remotely unlock the doors when you deactivate the alarm.

Its the standard way alarms work. it prevents someone from picking the lock.

You will probably notice that its not unlocking the door that makes the alarm go off but it the opening of the door.

Old 10-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

Ah ok so this is "normal". I've never had a security system for any car I bought - it's a waste of $ in my opinion, no one pays attention to alarms going off and I pay car insurance in case of theft anyway. It just seems weird to not be able to unlock w/the matching car key. I don't like carrying around the remote control, too bulky so I guess I'll turn off the alarm.

Thnx, Deb

Old 10-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

My car with the dealer installed Honda security system does that too. It scared the heck out of me and embarassed me in front of a few people the first time I opened the door with the key.

As tbaleno posted, you have to hit the unlock button to disable the alarm before opening a door.

I disabled it within a week of getting the car. It's behaved itself by staying off since then.

Old 10-02-2005, 04:06 PM

Whats realy embarasing is when you have an aftermarket alarm that auto locks after 30 seconds. I had that set and sent my car through a car wash with the keys inside. Boy was that a fun experience. The guys at the dealer had to jimmy my car so I could get my keys out. Then I was finaly after about 3 minutes turn off the alarm

As for people ignoring alarms, I make sure I get an alarm that has a distinctive alarm. I don't get one of the common best buy/circuit city type alarms that all sound the same. Also, I have an alarm with a 2 way remote so my remote goes off. I also have it set so its not very sensitive so when it goes off I know its not a false alarm. I also make sure when it goes off I go out and check out my car just to make sure someone isn't "testing" the system.

Also, don't rely on insurance. Sometimes they don't pay 100%. And often they don't cover what was in the car unless you have proof.