Center armrest for Insight

Old 05-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Center armrest for Insight

I've been unable to locate a center armrest for my 2006 Insight. I've read good things about the Husco kit, however, it seems this company has gone out of business without leaving the kit in anyone's care. Anyone know where I can get a used Husco or something similar. Thanks - 75mpg average Hovercar.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:19 AM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: Center armrest for Insight

Yep, the $100 I blew on the Husco was one of the best investments I ever did on my car, though I found it very difficult to part with $100 for an armrest now I don't regret it one bit as it has paid for itself in increasing the comfort level in my car threefold.

Last Christmas I bought a armrest/12V cooler/warmer at Target on clearence for $5. I would suggest getting some dimensions as to what would be a comfortable level for you and work from there but I think that the armrest/cooler may just be the ticket. Mine's down at my other house right now so I don't have access to it so I can't snap some pics for you to give you an idea for what to look for. I'll grab it when I swing by there later today.

Old 05-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Rigger. I appreciate it. I'm using a small rectangular pillow for now, but I'll check Target this afternoon. Would appreciate the pics to help with my search. Thanks, John

Old 05-28-2006, 04:42 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

I was down there yesterday but in such a hurry I forgot it as I was moving stuff. I'll be down that way again today remodeling but at a much slower pace and driving the truck (Avalanche gas guzzler) so I'll have room to toss it in a box to bring back as I am bringing more loads of "stuff" back.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Enthusiast

Rigger - I did see an armrest/cooler/warmer combo at Target for $30. Seems like it would fit except I don't know what would happen with the parking break. Do you have a manual or CVT? Do you have to move it to use the break handle?

Interestiing that you hung on to your Insight in favor of the newer Civic you had. What was your experience with it? Thanks, John

Old 05-28-2006, 05:24 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Hi John, well I forgot it AGAIN this evening even though I had it in my hands this afternoon to bring it home.

As for the parking brake, you can still lift it but it will lift the cooler/armrest in the process. If you are like me you "might not" use the parking brake while going down the road (I save that for tailgaters ) I have a manual (all Citrus Insights are manual - gee whiz info) In all honesty, I haven't used the cooler in the Insight because I bought one of the very last Husco armrests. I called them after they closed and they answered the phone and I talked them into getting me one.

As far as keeping the Insight and getting rid of the Civic, it was because of $$$$. The Civic was a little too much money since I am going to be debt free in four years according to my master plan. The Insight I spent a very long time looking for. Citrus Insights are as rare as hen's teeth and I stumbled on mine one day so I got it. Also I needed a roomier car and the Matrix fit the bill, not quite a SUV, not quite a minivan but still very roomy AND is able to achieve 35MPG - maybe more if I take my time and lay off the A/C.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Can you find it on the target website?

Old 05-29-2006, 06:40 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Doh! I suppose that would be a decent idea. Instead I found sometihng similar on a website since I forgot it AGAIN today!! So, here's a link to one that looks just like it. ***CLICK THIS LINK***

Originally Posted by merigayle
Can you find it on the target website?

Old 05-30-2006, 02:24 AM
Enthusiast

Rigger - yes, that's very close to what they have at Target and it makes sense that would work. Thanks for the info, John.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

I'm presently working with a small designer / manufacturer of aftermarket armrests to develop a prototype for the Insight.

Hope to have a working test unit within a few weeks and will post a review of it once it arrives.