Changed Front Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 12:23 PM
65.5 MPG Lifetime
Default Changed Front Brake Pads

I changed the front brake pads at 72,308 miles. I found it quite easy. There is a longer and more convoluted writeup on this at litenverden.com/insight, but this is the essence.

I used Honda pads at three times the NAPA price. If you plan to replace pads, do NOT substitute non-Honda parts on this job (see why on the web log). I followed the car manual instructions. I was careful to observe exactly how the clips at the end of the brake pads are installed before I took them off the caliper. Also, the shims on the outboard pads were a bit of a brain teaser, but I found they go on and off easily if you just use your noggen and have patience. The key is to keep the middle of the shim flat so you can scoot it a bit to one end or the other to get it over one of the larger clips. Then it comes off easily.

I used a large "C" clamp to GENTLY compress the inboard pistons to almost flush with the bore shoulder to make it easier to install the thicker new pads. No hammers or pry-bars were required. After assembly I bled the brakes per the manual.

I checked the rear brake shoes. This was VERY easy to do. The wheel just slipped off in my hands when the tire and rim was removed. The rear brakes showed almost no sign of wear. This is probably a result of gentle braking for maximum regen over 5 years.

Last edited by ManyMPG; 08-24-2005 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: Changed Front Brake Pads

Nice write up. I will browse the log to read the comments on non-Honda parts. I have an HCH with about 40k on it, but do about 35k per year. I watch the brakes carefully.

I was considering, when it does need it, to do the rotors, too. They aren't that expensive from a third party. How did the rotors look???

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:52 PM
65.5 MPG Lifetime

Hi, Charlie.

The rotors had a typical circumferential wear pattern. The pads adapted quickly.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributor ($)

Thanks for sharing this info. I changed mine one already as well. Pretty light wear overall, but it's pretty cheap insurance.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zadscmc
Nice write up. I will browse the log to read the comments on non-Honda parts. I have an HCH with about 40k on it, but do about 35k per year. I watch the brakes carefully.

I was considering, when it does need it, to do the rotors, too. They aren't that expensive from a third party. How did the rotors look???

Thanks.
Sorry for the bump, but I have to agree this is a well-said post about car parts. Thanks for sharing.