"Check Engine" warning light

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default "Check Engine" warning light

My Insight, with just over 40K miles, lit the "check engine" up. Calling around, the Honda Dealer Service Departments wanted an average of $100 just to plug the probe into the engine to diagnose. I had read on InsightCentral.net that this had been a problem with some Insights--assuming the car cap had been replaced properly after fueling-up. Turns out that the (LAF) oxygen sensor can send a false-report a problem to the engine control computer (ECM). Honda Dealers at first were replacing the sensor under the 3yr/36K warranty, but later focused in on the ECM, changing that out. My other problem iwa that my car is out of the warranty period, and I didn't relish paying $100 for a possible design flaw. When I mentioned that possibility to a Dealer Service manager, who told me he had never heard of that. Scratching him off my list, I reset the computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes, then reconnected, thinking that if there really was a problem, the light would come back on. That was 300 miles ago, and no light yet. More on that can be found here:
http://insightcentral.net/KB/faq-com...ml#CheckEngine

Still kick'n!

Ricco

Old 09-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Default Re: "Check Engine" warning light

You know autozone will hook a computer up to your car to get the codes for free. They can also clear codes. And if there is a faulty part gladly sell it to you for less than the dealer. I'm glad you got rid of the light by disconnecting the battery. Nice job on saving yourself some money.

Last edited by tbaleno; 09-19-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: "Check Engine" warning light

Thanks for the tip, as I'm a Newbie, having only had my Insight a short time.

Ricco